Clytus

Speco 16TL DVR LAN problem

Shooting in the dark here, but hoping maybe someone has experienced this, or can offer some insight.

I am suddenly unable to access my Speco 16TL DVR remotely via LAN or WAN. DHCP has always been enabled in DVR, and I’ve never had any trouble remotely accessing it from LAN PC, or via WAN on my smartphone. When I check the DVR LAN settings , DHCP is enabled, but for some reason the IP, Netmask, and Gateway are now all 0.0.0.0. If I try to restart the LAN, I consistently get “LAN Failed to Start.” It simply will not assign an IP address.

If I switch DHCP off, and manually input the last known good IP, Netmask, and Gateway, I still cannot access via LAN/PC or WAN.

If I switch DHCP back on and restart the network, it fails to start, and everything reverts to zeros.

Incidentally, my router settings have not changed. I've checked all physical connections (although none were touched, and the router is fine for all other network traffic.

I reinstalled the DVR firmware thinking there might have been a corruption. All other DVR functions are normal, except for remote access on LAN/WAN. I don't know what else to check.

Does this sound like a DVR hardware problem?

Thanks!!

Take the wire out of the dvr and plug it into your laptop. Check if your laptop can go on the internet. If it does, now you know there is nothing wrong with the router or the wire. Than plug the wire back into the dvr and assign it an IP that you know

is not being used. Restart the DVR once you do that. Than from a PC on the network, try to ping that IP. If you get a reply

from the DVR, than the DVR is on the network and you are missing something else. Go into the network settings of the DVR

and make sure the subnet and gateway are what they are supposed to be. Also check the ports and if you enter the IP of

the DVR in IE from a PC on the network, make sure you enter the port after the IP address. Let us know what happened

after you try all of this. Or, it is possible the network card just went bad?

Thanks a million, vector18! Suggesting I check the direct connection helped me find the problem.

Turns out it was my 16-port switch. Changed port and voila -- full remote access! DVR is just fine. Whew.

(Why is it I always forget to check the simple stuff first?! )