LittleScoobyMaster

Looking for a good 940-950nm IR illuminator

There is a low cost IR illuminator by CM vision called the IR-200-940 for $79.

Basically it's just 198 940nm IR LEDS's with an on/off sensor. It's very low cost, but I'm curious what it doesn't have compared to the higher end models by Axton, Axis, Raytec, etc.

Also, anyone know why BHphoto changed from Raytec to Axton? They used to carry Raytec in the $300 range but now they have Axton in that range.

I have a couple of the $79 cheapies as well as a RayMax 100 (all 940nm wavelength). The difference in light output is, well, like night and day.

I use mine to capture license plates at night on a street about 15' away from the camera. The cheap ones are completely useless for this purpose, whereas the RayMax lights up plates even if they are clear across the street.

I did use one of the cheap ones in my garage and it worked just fine in that enclosed space, so they do have their uses. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

I have a couple of the $79 cheapies as well as a RayMax 100 (all 940nm wavelength). The difference in light output is, well, like night and day.

I use mine to capture license plates at night on a street about 15' away from the camera. The cheap ones are completely useless for this purpose, whereas the RayMax lights up plates even if they are clear across the street.

I did use one of the cheap ones in my garage and it worked just fine in that enclosed space, so they do have their uses. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Did you happen to use the IR-200-940 $79 one, or a different one that is $79?

This one has 198 leds.

That RayMax 100 looks amazing from the specs. I wish it would come down in price though. Holy Moly.

Did you happen to use the IR-200-940 $79 one, or a different one that is $79?

This one has 198 leds.

That RayMax 100 looks amazing from the specs. I wish it would come down in price though. Holy Moly.

Well, I received my IR-200-940 illuminator today.

Major disapointment to say the least.

My little 67 tiny led infra red illuminator is far brighter.

I realize the 67 is only 850nm and the IR-200-940 is 940nm and that I should expect it to be not very bright, but this was just ridiculous. I couldn't even bring myself to post any pictures because it was so disapointing. After about 10 feet, you couldn't see much of anything.

My little 67 850nm units can see about 30 to 40 feet.

Now I need to determine if my Panasonic WV-sc385 is just blind to 940nm, or if the IR-200-940 is just the underperformer of the year.