Sign in to follow this  
CPT1911

Getting Signal to a Remote Monitor

Hi guys, really need some help here. I have just completed an installation of a Swann 1080P system with PIR triggers for the cameras. This system replaced an older Samsung product that had stopped working. Everything on the new system is working perfectly, except for one silly remaining issue… Here is the rundown:

1. The NVR is in a concealed location in the house.

2. We have a monitor in the kitchen that my wife uses to check the front door, etc. before answering. This was left over from the previous system. We used this monitor a lot and want to keep it.

3. The kitchen monitor was fed from a run of RG6 from the equipment cabinet. The old system had a BNC output which I fed to the composite video input on the monitor in the kitchen via the RG6.

4. The new NVR has an HDMI output and a VGA output

5. I am trying to figure out the best way to get the signal to the monitor in the kitchen. I have tried:

a. A HDMI to composite converter that I located with the NVR and connected to the coax. I bought the one with like 500 reviews on Amazon. The image quality was terrible/parts cut off and I returned it.

b. I tried the $180 IOGear wireless HDMI 1080p transmitter/receiver. It worked very well, but has a range of about 20 ft, not 100ft as advertised. It can’t reach the monitor.

c. We don’t need crystal clear image quality on the monitor in the kitchen, just good situational awareness.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get the signal to the kitchen over existing Coax or wirelessly? We just pumped A TON of new insulation in the attic and it would be a long crawl to run a new line.

Thanks!

If that monitor has HDMI input, check out something like "rikomagic mk802IIIs". Mini android device that connects on the HDMI input, that way you can run IVMS-4500 on it. I am assuming your NVR is networked, and that you have a wifi that the device can connect to.

Otherwise, you could just try a HDMI to analog converter, and use the existing video cable.

Thanks, MindTwist.

The rikomagic mk802IIIs product looks very interesting. If I go the other route, is there an HDMI to analog product you can recommend? I tried one (about $60 on amazon) and it was a real disappointment.