smarty

Instant E-mail Notification without a SMS modem

I happen to have a Geo system, but this option could work with any DVR system that allows for e-mail notification (with an attached picture).

If you have RoadRunner and a Sprint or T-Mobil cell phone, this is how it can be done.

Have the DVR send the e-mail (with picture attachment) to an e-mail address (where you get NOTHING ELSE). I would suggest that you set up a sub account; name it DVR MAIL for example. This sub account could be with RoadRunner or even on your phone. Next, get into the mail account options for "DVR MAIL" and do a simple "Forward All" mail rule. All mail should be forwarded to the instant messaging telephone number of where you want the instant (SMS like) alert to arrive. For me, I send them to 210XXXXXXX@sprintpcs.com or 210XXXXXXX@tmomail.com.

While the instant messaging does NOT support the picture attachment, it does let you know that you have a camera/system alarm, and you have an e-mail (w/ pict) waiting to be downloaded.

Other variations can be done, just look into what rules can be set up on your e-mail server.

This is the poor mans SMS approach!

Have you used CenterV yet?

You can get a video clip sent to a remote computer right after motion is detected or any other device that you choose to trip the cameras.

I have not used CenterV2 yet. I will give it a look.

Do you leave this running (on your work machine) while you are at work?

Smarty

Center2 needs to be on a PC with some HDD space, and something kind of fast .. though i tested it on my PC and with the GEO DVR software mimimized in the background, 2.0Ghz 512MB with a GV250- 2 channel ... and very little HDD space .. it worked without any issues, ran it for a couple of days .. HDD space will depend on how many cameras, how much motion they get, and how long you want to save recorded images for.

Rory

I have not used CenterV2 yet. I will give it a look.

Do you leave this running (on your work machine) while you are at work?

Smarty

Yeah, you would need to run on it on the work machine. If your are trying to monitor DVR events at home.

You would need to have some hard drive space on the work machine, in addition to having access and permission of installing it on the work machine. I don’t know your situation.

I don’t think would need much PC power to run the program though. The video transmitted to you would have already been compressed and processed before you would receive it at work. So any machine that can play back video files should work for you.

CenterV2 is flexible in its configuration, so you should be able to make something work for you. You may want it to only send you video when motion is detected or when the video signal is lost to a camera. Play around with it, you’ll get it tailored to your needs.

I was looking into the email ability in the beginning as well, but CenterV2 is really the better solution. You can only have one version running at time though, whereas email you could send to multiple parties at the same time.