buellwinkle

Script that checks and alerts for non-working camera

I was working on Windows Script that checks a list of cameras by sending an HTTP GET request to the camera. If it fails, it sends me an email for each failed camera/nvr or I can have it send a text for that matter.

My reason is sometimes I don't check cameras every single day and it would be good to run a script, even once a day that checks to verify they are working. It actually runs very quick if all cameras are up.

Is there anything like this out there or does some NVR software have this simple capability. Someone asked on the Milestone forum but got no response so I'm guessing not.

I was working on Windows Script that checks a list of cameras by sending an HTTP GET request to the camera. If it fails, it sends me an email for each failed camera/nvr or I can have it send a text for that matter.

My reason is sometimes I don't check cameras every single day and it would be good to run a script, even once a day that checks to verify they are working. It actually runs very quick if all cameras are up.

Is there anything like this out there or does some NVR software have this simple capability. Someone asked on the Milestone forum but got no response so I'm guessing not.

Google host monitoring

buellwinkle,

Check out http://monitor.us, that is the one I use (I have enough with the free service; I think their paid service is actually way overpriced).

I have everything checked I think every 60 minutes (you can't check more often with free accounts), if two checks fail in a row, then I get an email alert.

Good solution if all you cameras are port forwarded and exposed to the internet. For example, on two projects, they don't want anything accessible from the internet.

That's right, I do not monitor any equipment that is not connected to the internet, so that is enough for me. I am sure there have to be good tools to do the same installed on any computer, but I never bothered trying any.

I do have many DVRs/NVRs that warn me by email when there is video loss on a given channel. They can do so if they can connect to the internet, even if they were not accessible from internet (they are configured correctly with gateway and DNS, but they do not have open ports, so they can not be accessed from outside). I guess that would not work with standalone IP cameras, which do not have a NVR taking care of them.

I gave up looking and wrote the script (attached) so I can run on it my windows PC running the NVR software. If you want to use it, edit it with notepad and add your list of cameras (IP or domain name) and your SMTP information to send email alerts.

To run, you can double-click on the script and it will run silently in the background to check each camera unless there's a problem, then it sends an email.

The program runs a check once and then ends. To schedule it to run on a regular basis, use Windows Task Scheduler, it's part of Windows for a long time. You find it in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Task Scheduler, click Create Basic Task, the rest is prompts.

I thought about using a free host monitoring program, but you never know what it's doing with the data, with access to your network. At least with a script, you can read the code, see what it's doing and only runs when you schedule it to run, not 24/7 in the background.

I tested this with my email, my cameras on my Win 7 PC, YMMV.

camchecker.zip