tdenson

Motion detect and Dahua

I have a question regarding the connection between MD on a Dahua camera and MD on a Dahua NVR. I have bought a Dahua 3208P NVR and am trying to set it up with MD. The first thing I discovered was that despite all this talk about ONVIF 2.0 compliance, the third part cameras I bought would not work with the Dahua NVR. So I went and bought a Dahua HFW3200S camera. This works in as much as I can get the MD to work after a fashion, but it is totally erratic and when I play with the sensitivity and dither etc. I either get something that doesn't trigger at all or triggers all the time.

My question however is this - what is the connection between the camera and the NVR. Does the NVR issue MD info to the camera. If it does, should I not see this reflected in the camera settings (I don't) ? I am thinking of giving up on buying Dahua cameras and instead use cheaper cameras, and then install common or garden PIRs and use those to trigger the alarm inputs to the Dahua - is this a sensible strategy ?

I have been there too... MD sucked on a Dahua IP system I set up. Either I missed too many events, or recorded almost 24/7. I end up configuring scheduled recording during business hours. I also remember testing Dahua NVR with a couple ONVIF IP cameras, and while they were recognised ok, MD was not working at all. So only manual, alarm or scheduled recording was possible.

It has been a while, first thing I would do now was to check for the latest firmwares for both NVR and cameras.

I have been there too... MD sucked on a Dahua IP system I set up. Either I missed too many events, or recorded almost 24/7. I end up configuring scheduled recording during business hours. I also remember testing Dahua NVR with a couple ONVIF IP cameras, and while they were recognised ok, MD was not working at all. So only manual, alarm or scheduled recording was possible.

It has been a while, first thing I would do now was to check for the latest firmwares for both NVR and cameras.

Thanks, I'll take a look

I'm having a similar problem with my Q-See QC808 unit. I believe this unit is a rebranded Dahua.

I currently have two Hikvision cameras attached to my unit and even though I can record video manually or on a schedule, I can't seem to get motion detect to work trigger the recording. I upgraded the firmware last night but still nothing. It seems like motion doesn't get detected at all.

I've contacted Q-see tech support and I'm waiting for their reply.

Share any new information you might find.

Thanks

I'm having a similar problem with my Q-See QC808 unit. I believe this unit is a rebranded Dahua.

I currently have two Hikvision cameras attached to my unit and even though I can record video manually or on a schedule, I can't seem to get motion detect to work trigger the recording. I upgraded the firmware last night but still nothing. It seems like motion doesn't get detected at all.

I've contacted Q-see tech support and I'm waiting for their reply.

Share any new information you might find.

Thanks

As I said, the only way I've been able to even get motion detect half working is by buying a Dahua camera.

I am thinking of giving up on buying Dahua cameras and instead use cheaper cameras, and then install common or garden PIRs and use those to trigger the alarm inputs to the Dahua - is this a sensible strategy ?

I'm not sure using common or garden variety PIR's would be a wise choice. The cheap PIR's will probably cause you a lot of grief in terms of false motion detection.

I own a Dahua DVR and use Optex http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/lx-402 commercial grade PIR's as input to my security system which is a HA Omni Pro II system. The input from the PIR's is sent to the Dahua DVR by the security panel. I used the Optex brand PIR's for more than a decade with my security system and they have proven to be 99.9% accurate. So, I decided to use the PIR output via the security system as input into my Dahua DVR. I've owned the Dahua DVR for about three months now and have no false motion detection issues with this setup.

Although I have not tried it, I do believe that these PIR's can be used directly as alarm inputs to your Dahua DVR.

I am thinking of giving up on buying Dahua cameras and instead use cheaper cameras, and then install common or garden PIRs and use those to trigger the alarm inputs to the Dahua - is this a sensible strategy ?

I'm not sure using common or garden variety PIR's would be a wise choice. The cheap PIR's will probably cause you a lot of grief in terms of false motion detection.

I own a Dahua DVR and use Optex http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/lx-402 commercial grade PIR's as input to my security system which is a HA Omni Pro II system. .

I didn't necessarily mean cheap, I just meant standard PIRs as opposed to visual motion detection. It seems to me that the PIR approach is likely to be far more reliable. Trouble with visual MD are things like insects and rain.

I have now tried it with a cheap PIR as it happens and it works nicely, but I will investigate the ones you mention (I am in the UK though).

By the way, I did get the motion detection feature on my cameras to work with my Q-See NVR. My cameras are Derytech branded and they were on an older firmware. I upgraded them to the latest Hikvision firmware (5.0.2), enabled motion Detect recording and set the sensitivity on the cameras themselves before attaching them to my NVR.

I was then able to enable motion record on my NVR and it works. Now I need to figure out how to get the screenshots feature to work.