vitaminn

Q on Dahua PTZ Speed Dome

Hello, I just purchased 2 Dahua SD3282D-GN security camera's (http://goo.gl/7zhqso) and the products setup/potential is collegiate level while I'm still in grade school.

I am hoping someone can give me a couple pointers for the most advantages way to setup. (even better, are you in Dallas? Ill buy you a beer!?).

The camera has 5 cords coming from it (see image)

The big Q's are:

• -This thing is PoE ready or so I thought...in the specs is says "Micro SD card, PoE" as one item. Would there be any benefit or reason to plug it into a wall? (maybe i'm missing something big here.)

• -Are the Audio in and Audio out for a mic and speaker? Does this mean it "listen's" (Audio in) and that I can speak remotely into it?

• -Alarm input/output (#5 in image)...what the heck can I do here? I see 5 connections: Alarm_Com, Alarm_Out, Alarm_In1, Alarm_In2 and Ground.

The manual is here: http://goo.gl/C6NxGv

Any direction would be greatly appreciated, even if its a resource link of some sort to get me going in the right direction.

Dahua-SD3282D-GN.thumb.jpg.6af4a70ba083e8621b4726ad620713d4.jpg

The big Q's are:

• -This thing is PoE ready or so I thought...in the specs is says "Micro SD card, PoE" as one item. Would there be any benefit or reason to plug it into a wall? (maybe i'm missing something big here.)

You can do either POE or run low voltage power from a power supply. If you have an NVR with POE, use the POE connector. If you have a DVR, you'll want to run separate power line and video line.

• -Are the Audio in and Audio out for a mic and speaker? Does this mean it "listen's" (Audio in) and that I can speak remotely into it?

Yes. Audio out would be an audio signal going to your NVR or DVR. I haven't read your manual, so I can only assume that the audio input is where you would connect an external mic... I don't believe there's a mic built into that cam.

• -Alarm input/output (#5 in image)...what the heck can I do here? I see 5 connections: Alarm_Com, Alarm_Out, Alarm_In1, Alarm_In2 and Ground.

Alarm Ins & Outs are for triggering events. For example, you could connect an infrared motion sensor somewhere on your property and run the line to the Alarm In to have it trigger the DVR to record or do other commands. I usually run such lines directly to my DVR/NVR though, not to the camera.

Oh, and the SD slot is just another recording option... in case you don't have either a DVR or NVR.

I'm no expert, so if someone else wants to chime in, please do. Hope this helps out.

Thanks both of you for the replies. That gives me some food for thought. The camera's will be installed in hard to reach places so I want to run the right cables all at once.

What would be your reason for wanting to use the alarm outputs?

I'm not sure Lucky...wasn't 100% sure what those were are hence the question. I'm still not 100% sure what types of "alarms" are available. But with dorough's comment, it gives me an idea and keywords to research.