Sign in to follow this  
DiasTech

video quality and fps

what is the recommended fps on a dvr card if i wanted to record and preview like it was in live motion?

a while back i helped out a friend install a digtial pc based dvr system and it was a inexpensive solution, but we didnt know anything about resolution at the time. no matter what we changed the fps on each camera setting we could not get the preview/recorded video to look like live video.

he had a pro installer install new cards that were unbranded and i have no idea who makes the software because there is no label on it. but he can preview it in live motion with 12 cameras viewing everything in live motion. i dont know anything about the installation, but he said it only cost him $400.00 for the 12 camera dvr cards.

thanks,

to answer the question, I recommend 7 - 10 fps. you'll get fluid motion that represent a decent "live view". BUT, you can always set it higher and higher and you will see an improvement. The give and take here is storage space. More FPS more storage required. AND, your resolution needs to be set to the highest which will give you a clean crisp pic...BUT, more storage space required.

quality has a price

i got it now, thanks

few more questions:

1. when reading specs from the spec sheet on a dvr card. the fps is the total fps on the card right? so if i have a 4 channel card and 30 fps then i have to devide 30 by 4 right?

2. what is a good overall resolution? 640 X 480? anything higher would be perfect quality? and what kind of quality is the 640 X 480? is it a DVD qualith or VHS quality?

1 - yes

2 - 640x480 a US standard, NTSC. PAL (EUROPE) has it's own set of resolutions/standards. More is better, plain and simple. BUT, see the below link to get a better understanding of "resolutions". Everything in the chain of parts has an effect on the final resolution, recorded or live.

http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/cctv25.htm