galentin

ARP/Ping to set IP

I have a few Dahua IP Cameras and there is a check box to "allow setting of IP using arp/ping"... Does anyone know exactly how you would use ARP/Ping to set an IP? As far as I was aware, ARP was to see the MAC/IP table and ping just sends a simple ICMP in hopes of a response. I'm just curious if it can be done, I do not have any really good reason to use it... yet.

Thanks in advance

I have never used this feature in Dahua but with Axis you could set the IP address of the device using this method.

How was this done on Axis? I can always test if it works on the Dahuas.

Thanks again

How was this done on Axis? I can always test if it works on the Dahuas.

Have a look

Doesn't seem to work on my Dahua's. Although, I'm kind of surprised it works on anything. I was under the impression that arp -s would just add an entry to the computers local arp table, not send anything out... I may have to check that in wireshark or something.

Doesn't seem to work on my Dahua's. Although, I'm kind of surprised it works on anything. I was under the impression that arp -s would just add an entry to the computers local arp table, not send anything out... I may have to check that in wireshark or something.

I tried long time ago with Avigilon just for fun

It works