Zigma

I need an outdoor, IP, POE, PZT camera!

Hello All,

I need to install an outdoor camera to watch the front of the store. I am looking at a "Dome" camera for vandal proof but there are a few features that I am looking for.

It needs to be an IP camera and it needs to be POE.

It needs to be HD, At least 720 and should have really good image quality/night vision.

It needs to be pan and tilt, as well as have the good zoom.

As far as price, A couple hundred dollars is fine. My dilemma is, how does pan and tilt work? Do I need a joystick or can I just do it straight through software? Ideally, I need to see this camera from my home (vpn in etc) and be able to move it up and down without the need to have a physical joystick.

Thanks all.

Hello All,

I need to install an outdoor camera to watch the front of the store. I am looking at a "Dome" camera for vandal proof but there are a few features that I am looking for.

It needs to be HD, At least 720 and should have really good image quality/night vision.

As far as price, A couple hundred dollars is fine. My dilemma is, how does pan and tilt work? Do I need a joystick or can I just do it straight through software? Ideally, I need to see this camera from my home (vpn in etc) and be able to move it up and down without the need to have a physical joystick.

Thanks all.

What color of sky in your area ?

Before you get too deep into this, the least expensive decent camera I know if $599, a 3X optical zoom Dahua, 1080P. ACTi is coming out some very inexpensive small PoE PTZ cameras with 10x zoom about February which I'm expecting will sell for about $800-900.

Do you need IR illuminators built in or do you have plenty of light at night. With IR illuminators, Dahua makes a 720P and 1080P with 20x optical zoom, figure about $1,200-1,500 range.

Now if you want something more robust it's going to cost way more.

As for controlling the PTZ, usually you setup presets and an automated patrol of each preset. There will be on-screen controls via the web browser to work the camera manually.

If this is just a science experiment, just to see how PTZ's work but you don't care about image quality or how long the camera will last, the Agasio PTZ, vga resolution, 3x optical zoom is $179 last time I checked.

Hello All,

Thanks all.

What color of sky in your area ?

Blue?

edit: ah, I see you're Avigilon. I'm having an avigilon HD-NVR-EXP2-10tb installed soon where I work to expand our security system here. Those cameras they make... $$$ but nice!

Before you get too deep into this, the least expensive decent camera I know if $599, a 3X optical zoom Dahua, 1080P. ACTi is coming out some very inexpensive small PoE PTZ cameras with 10x zoom about February which I'm expecting will sell for about $800-900.

Do you need IR illuminators built in or do you have plenty of light at night. With IR illuminators, Dahua makes a 720P and 1080P with 20x optical zoom, figure about $1,200-1,500 range.

Now if you want something more robust it's going to cost way more.

As for controlling the PTZ, usually you setup presets and an automated patrol of each preset. There will be on-screen controls via the web browser to work the camera manually.

If this is just a science experiment, just to see how PTZ's work but you don't care about image quality or how long the camera will last, the Agasio PTZ, vga resolution, 3x optical zoom is $179 last time I checked.

I would say I need IR illuminators built in. I have 4 cameras at my store, 2 are cisco ipc 2600's and the other ones are dlink. I got them for $100 dollars each LOL! Deal of the century. Do you recommend anything around the 200-300 dollar range? Even if it's second hand? As long as it works?

It's also not PTZ.

Another thing to consider for an outdoor camera is the power. I don't think many PTZ cameras can power the heater and blower via POE. So if you're someplace that gets cold you will likely need to run power to it.

Blue?

edit: ah, I see you're Avigilon. I'm having an avigilon HD-NVR-EXP2-10tb installed soon where I work to expand our security system here. Those cameras they make... $$$ but nice!

That better

good luck

It's also not PTZ.

Another thing to consider for an outdoor camera is the power. I don't think many PTZ cameras can power the heater and blower via POE. So if you're someplace that gets cold you will likely need to run power to it.

Cameras have heaters? I did not know.

Technically the enclosures have heaters and blowers. Outdoor enclosures anyway. They are to melt ice and slow from the lens and prevent condensation.

Technically the enclosures have heaters and blowers. Outdoor enclosures anyway. They are to melt ice and slow from the lens and prevent condensation.

Ah, interesting. Would you kindly recommend me something around $250-$400 range? It seems that the biggest point in price is the ptz feature and I may have to settle for a fixed point camera

The only PTZ cameras I know if with IR LEDs are the Dahua and Hikvision.

Have sold several of these, they work very well (comes in 720P, 1080P, 3MP, not a huge price difference between the 3) -

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd698282a-hn-33.html

Here's the Hikvision, more expensive than Dahua but they are better at support and service - http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=7684

If you are down to the $250-400 price range, I would recommend an ACTi E72 fixed vandal dome, 3MP, 3-axis, well made, good support and warranty.

The only PTZ cameras I know if with IR LEDs are the Dahua and Hikvision.

Have sold several of these, they work very well (comes in 720P, 1080P, 3MP, not a huge price difference between the 3) -

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd698282a-hn-33.html

Here's the Hikvision, more expensive than Dahua but they are better at support and service - http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=7684

If you are down to the $250-400 price range, I would recommend an ACTi E72 fixed vandal dome, 3MP, 3-axis, well made, good support and warranty.

I need to keep it in a dome because if I have one of those sexy cameras you recommended then it will attract people and look like a piñata lol. I may just need to settle with a 3-axis, non ptz type.

Looking around, Samsung makes dome cameras that might be affordable and in my price range (refurbished) I may go with them! They do not have IR but i think that it should be okay

Hello All,

Been doing a lot of research lately. Is there a difference between POE and POE+? or are they both the same.

Thanks.

PoE is a generic term, can mean anything, for example, Ubiquiti sells PoE switches that are 24v were most PoE switches are 48v. The typical standard we talk about here is the 802.3af and class distinguishes power, most common is Class 3 which is 15.4W at the switch (12.95W at the camera).

There are some cameras like PTZ that exceed this, for example, an Axis Q6035-E requires 60W so they include a 75W PoE injector in the box.

Hello All,

Been doing a lot of research lately. Is there a difference between POE and POE+? or are they both the same.

Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

PoE+ provides up to 25 watts of power and is needed sometimes for cameras with heaters or PTZ (although it's worth noting that Axis has outdoor cams with both heaters and IR that work on regular PoE). Normal PoE injectors do not put out this amount of power but PoE+ injectors are available Zyxel makes some that aren't super expensive.

For some cameras, if you have a heater they require auxiliary 48V supply for the heater... you want to avoid those, pain in the ass.

I thought the dahua/hik ptz's need a separate power supply as poe won't cut it. I have the analog dauha ptz and it is one fantastic camera. Unless you need a dome so you can't see where the camera is pointing, I'd say disregard how the camera looks because it's a superb ptz/ir camera.

A warning on the PoE side of things, some camera's list as being PoE powered but require propriety 60w PoE injectors... (Axis?)

the only time its worth having PTZ is if your going to be sitting in the store actually moving it around all day, are you really planning on doing this?

Not necessarily. PTZ cameras can have presets and a patrol can be create to stop at key areas. Also, some brands allow for HTML commands to be sent, meaning if you have say a 180 degree camera looking over a wide area or a series of fixed cameras, if there's motion detect, the camera can send an URL command to a PTZ camera to pan/tilt to that area and zoom in for a close up recording. I was thinking about an PTZ camera for a park that would do a patrol of key areas where there's trouble and not necessarily practical to put a few fixed cameras.

ACTi is coming out with a nice PTZ in Jan/Feb timeframe, 1080P, 10x zoom, standard PoE, about the size of a regular 4" fixed dome and in the $900 price range from what they showed at ASIS.

Not necessarily. PTZ cameras can have presets and a patrol can be create to stop at key areas. Also, some brands allow for HTML commands to be sent, meaning if you have say a 180 degree camera looking over a wide area or a series of fixed cameras, if there's motion detect, the camera can send an URL command to a PTZ camera to pan/tilt to that area and zoom in for a close up recording. I was thinking about an PTZ camera for a park that would do a patrol of key areas where there's trouble and not necessarily practical to put a few fixed cameras.

ACTi is coming out with a nice PTZ in Jan/Feb timeframe, 1080P, 10x zoom, standard PoE, about the size of a regular 4" fixed dome and in the $900 price range from what they showed at ASIS.

yeah, I've heard of that feature, but yet to see it actually working anywhere for any reasonable price, anyone lot a PTZ Motion detect running that they are happy with?

considering a reasonable PTZ seems to start at $1k and you can get a 3mp camera for $200 it seems better value to get a collection of 3mp camera's...

OP- You need a decent amount of light to wake up a camera with no IR. Take a night pic and post it so we can see just exactly how much light you're talking about. What you think is plenty may not be nearly enough to be useful overall. It's best if you give us an idea of what you're looking to cover. A store front is vague. Store fronts imply the sidewalk in front of the store, the front door, immediate parking spaces, or a large parking lot with an entrance to cover. What is it you're dealing with? Again, a picture says a lot.

I wouldn't say choosing a fixed camera or two is settling at all. With mega pixel cameras, you can view a lot of detail of different positions within that one shot. Here's a post I made earlier this year showing how much you can get out of one wide view- essentially acting like a ptz can but not sacrificing any one area. A ptz will miss what it's not looking at. A good high res image can yield many different areas within the shot. This is the front door camera to the building, one of three out there-

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36256&p=223289&hilit=decent+ip+cameras+under+250#p223289

But as far as a ptz, they are useful. People get hung up on movement and working the camera, tours, etc. One of the most useful things about my ptz is simply being able to re-position it at will to look at a new problem area. I don't track anything much really. I don't have the camera in a constant tour. Even though it can trigger to a preset from motion from another camera, I don't do that. It's most useful to schedule it to re-position to different areas at different times of the day and sit idle on those areas. That is the real power of a ptz. Not moving it all over the place all the time, but merely being able to point it and zoom it where you may need it to sit idle at a perfect fov for extended periods of time. And it's best to have fixed cameras as well for support. Anyway, it's hard to say what will be best for you without more info.