Sign in to follow this  
PhoneGuy85

First time messing with PTZ cameras what do I need to know?

Ok, hello all, I recently bought a Pelco DD53CBW PTZ camera with the base, dome and mounts. I plan to buy a USB to RS485 converter, and get some free PTZ software. How do I need to have this set? Looks like I'll need to use the "D" protocol, is this correct?

Thanks for the help!

Ok, hello all, I recently bought a Pelco DD53CBW PTZ camera with the base, dome and mounts. I plan to buy a USB to RS485 converter, and get some free PTZ software. How do I need to have this set? Looks like I'll need to use the "D" protocol, is this correct?

Thanks for the help!

Hi. usb to something like a moxa converter will work ..... but first how are you going to get image onto PC

Hi. usb to something like a moxa converter will work ..... but first how are you going to get image onto PC

I plan to either get a capture card or "dongle" from Ebay, or have it hooked to my TV monitor that's next to the computer. Having it on the computer screen would be nice though, so I'll probably get a capture device.

The Moxa converters look nice, but I bet they are way more than the $20 converters on Ebay.

I don't have a lot to spend on this, heck I got the camera for a "whopping" $10!

I'm looking to spend under $50 for the accessories, whether it be a capture card/dongle, or a RS485 converter. If I could get a card with the PTZ control in it, that would be cool too.

Looks like the Pelco "D" protocol is pretty universal, I'm going to power the camera up and see what I get, obviously it won't move around without control signals, but I can see if it's getting video or not.

I plan to either get a capture card or "dongle" from Ebay, or have it hooked to my TV monitor that's next to the computer. Having it on the computer screen would be nice though, so I'll probably get a capture device.

The Moxa converters look nice, but I bet they are way more than the $20 converters on Ebay.

I don't have a lot to spend on this, heck I got the camera for a "whopping" $10!

I'm looking to spend under $50 for the accessories, whether it be a capture card/dongle, or a RS485 converter. If I could get a card with the PTZ control in it, that would be cool too.

Looks like the Pelco "D" protocol is pretty universal, I'm going to power the camera up and see what I get, obviously it won't move around without control signals, but I can see if it's getting video or not.

Best and cheapest is to look on ebay for a avermedia NVR 3000 card

It will record and give you full control of your PTZ

Thanks Tom, I'll keep that in mind for a future project, but for now I'm going to go with a Pelco MPT9000CZ "Coaxitron" controller, it's more of what I was after, since I'm not using a computer based system yet.