Sign in to follow this  
atv

hi there, nice to meet you

Hi,

My name is atv, i am looking for a camera cctv system to monitor my home/property.

I'd like to do this with domes mostly, so it blends in a bit more, bit more stylish i suppose.

As i am a complete noob, i am a network engineer but have no experience with cctv, i wanted to put in a new post but i might as well put it here. I hope you don't mind the many questions i have!

I'd like to use IP. First i wanted to go wireless, but i think most people here advise against it. So currently i am looking at this dahua:

http://www.ipcamerasuk.co.uk/network-video-recorders/dahua-nvr/dahua-dh-nvr-5208-p-hd-network-video-recorder

I am not sure if that is the latest dahua, but most people seem to favor this brand. But this one does have PoE ports, so i imagine i can plug in any wired camera straight to the switchport.

-I would want at least 8 camera's. That should be more then sufficient for monitoring my house.

-Do i have to plug in IP cameras to the PoE ports or can i just search for an ip camera. If so, how many camera's/ip streams can i add/display? Can i add camera's on the web ? What about usb or onboard camera's in laptops or such ? Is that even possible ? I think iSpy can do that ?

-How would you run PoE cable outside ? Do i just drill a hole in the wall ?

-How does it backup to the network? Does it just put pictures or does it store movies ? There's no point in having a nvr if it can be stolen. I need the footage backed up, preferably not just in silly frames, i want clear video footage backed up.

-Does that link include a harddisk ?

-If it detects motion, does it make a sound and focus on the specific cam that caused the motion ? Can you select certain parts of the camera to 'paint' or 'unpaint' the noise area's ? Can you select the sound it makes or record a new one ? Can it sends sms or dial out ?

I can see already it's going to be an expensive ride, maybe i will go with a cheaper dahua so i can get some more outside dome ip camera's.

Thank you for any answers you can give me. Appreciated.

Kind regards,