ziggs1

using cat5 cable

I use cat5 cable on my installations because I find it easier to run and connect to bnc connectors than rg59 shotgun cable, the problems I find is that the wires going into the baluns are very delicate and can easily break. To overcome this problem I have been using a junction box behind the dvr to encase the connectors and then running the bnc part of the balun through the gromet into the back of the dvr... it seems to work but just wondered if there was a better way???

Also I find if I move the dvr or cables behind dvr I can get video interference...this worries me..is this common?

I use cat5 cable on my installations because I find it easier to run and connect to bnc connectors than rg59 shotgun cable, the problems I find is that the wires going into the baluns are very delicate and can easily break. To overcome this problem I have been using a junction box behind the dvr to encase the connectors and then running the bnc part of the balun through the gromet into the back of the dvr... it seems to work but just wondered if there was a better way???

Also I find if I move the dvr or cables behind dvr I can get video interference...this worries me..is this common?

This is my main gripe about using baluns. I have come across 16 channel systems like this and you just know that as soon as you move something you are going to introduce another bunch of problems. One way around it that I use fairly often is to loop the cat5 back along the body of the balun and then tape it. This will give some degree of strain relief. In larger commercial jobs run the cat 5 to a data rack, cable tie the cat5 as per normal data installation methods and connect to rack mount baluns. Then to the DVR with standard RG59 patch cords

spend the extra money and get the baluns that actually terminate in a RJ45 connector, not screw or push terminals, learn to terminate cables and invest in a good termination tool, problem solved.

They also have wire ferrules which you can use.