eyal8r

Server 2/ 2 NICs - Unable to Obtain Valid IP Configuration

Hey guys-

I setup a WIN7 box to run my IP Cams. I have 2 NICs installed- 1 for the internet, 1 for the IP Cam network. I don't want the IP Cams using up the bandwidth on the internet network- so I have a 2nd NIC (1 Gig w/ Cat6) installed, going right into the POE switch out of the computer. Everything is installed and working properly- except I can't find the cams on the network. I have yellow light on the switch, green on the NIC.

When I go to the Network configuration- it says the NIC is working properly. However, when I click on the properties of the Network from that NIC- it says 'unable to Obtain Valid IP Configuration'.

Do I need to merge these 2 networks together? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks for the help!

Yes you need to setup a subnet on your camera network. Meaning you need to static IP your cameras, switch and NIC card on your camera network to IP address on the same subnet which needs to be different then your internet network.

If your internet NIC card has an ip address of 192.168.1.x then you need to use a different subnet say 192.168.2.x for your cameras.

Awesome- thanks for the reply! Can you explain HOW I do that then?

Just so I understand, you're saying I need to establish a different static IP for that NIC? Any help you can give is VERY appreciated!

ok- re-reading your reply... so instead of setting up IP automatically, I just assign the IP on the card myself? Also- should I be using IP4 or IP6, or both?

Thanks again!

ok- re-reading your reply... so instead of setting up IP automatically, I just assign the IP on the card myself? Also- should I be using IP4 or IP6, or both?

Thanks again!

Think about it for a second. Your camera network has no DHCP server to hand out addresses so you have to configigute them to static.

Keep it simple. Uncheck the IPv6

Configure your Server Camera NIC with the address of 192.168.5.20 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

No gateway needed. No DNS needed.

Set your cameras with static numbers also. Make your first camera 192.168.5.100 and the next one .101 ect.

Thanks again!

Think about it for a second. Your camera network has no DHCP server to hand out addresses so you have to configigute them to static.

Keep it simple. Uncheck the IPv6

Configure your Server Camera NIC with the address of 192.168.5.20 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

No gateway needed. No DNS needed.

Set your cameras with static numbers also. Make your first camera 192.168.5.100 and the next one .101 ect.

Or go with Avigilon and use "Zero config"

ok- here's the latest...

I changed the NIC2 to the recommended settings, but still no-go. I couldn't get access to the switch control panel. So in the switch manual, it says to use 192.168.1.20 for IP, and 255.255.255.0 for subnet (I tried others, and it wouldn't let me access it). So, that gave me access to the switch control panel now. I turned on the POE on the ports to 24v and got green lights on the switch now.

Back in the Network Properties for the NIC2- it not longer says 'no network access', but now it just says 'no internet access'. Which is fine since I"m not trying to connect to the internet. It's also showing a LOT of packets being sent. So- looking good, right?

I startup Milestone- do the hardware find wizard- nothing. No camera found. I try both the specific brand and all manufacturer options- still no cameras found.

I'm beating my head against the wall here- any ideas as to what I'm missing? The cameras are definitely hooked up, using CAT6 directly to the ports on the switch.

BTW- using CAT6, Hikvision 3mp cameras (Chinese brand), and Ubiquiti TS-8-PRO TOUGHSwitch.

Thanks for the help guys!

ok- here's the latest...

I changed the NIC2 to the recommended settings, but still no-go. I couldn't get access to the switch control panel. So in the switch manual, it says to use 192.168.1.20 for IP, and 255.255.255.0 for subnet (I tried others, and it wouldn't let me access it). So, that gave me access to the switch control panel now. I turned on the POE on the ports to 24v and got green lights on the switch now.

Back in the Network Properties for the NIC2- it not longer says 'no network access', but now it just says 'no internet access'. Which is fine since I"m not trying to connect to the internet. It's also showing a LOT of packets being sent. So- looking good, right?

I startup Milestone- do the hardware find wizard- nothing. No camera found. I try both the specific brand and all manufacturer options- still no cameras found.

I'm beating my head against the wall here- any ideas as to what I'm missing? The cameras are definitely hooked up, using CAT6 directly to the ports on the switch.

BTW- using CAT6, Hikvision 3mp cameras (Chinese brand), and Ubiquiti TS-8-PRO TOUGHSwitch.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok first thing is turn your POE ports to 48 volts. What did you set your cameras IP addresses to?

Hi there-

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to help me!

I changed the ports to 48v.

I don't know how to access the IP address of the cameras? I installed SADP (Hikvisions cam tool)- and it's supposed to find the cameras on the network... but it finds NOTHING at all. Same thing with the IVM-4200 software they have. So, from what I can tell- it doesn't even think there's cameras on there before I can change their IP. I've quadruple checked the cable connections, the switch, etc. There's got to be some sort of IP or port setting issue?

Any ideas?

ok- next update...

I disabled NIC1 (internet access). In the NIC2 settings, I changed the IP to 192.168.1.1, SM to 255.255.255.0.

I can still access the POE switch control panel via 192.168.1.20. In there, I see that VLAN is setup to '1' and nicknamed Management. I tried setting up a '2' VLAN, but got nothing.

Now- the cams all popped up on the SADP software. I changed the IP on each of them to 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.105 respectively.

I booted up the Hikvision software (Milestone still doesn't find the cams on the network)- and it finds all 5 of the cameras. However, only 3 of them actually show a picture- the other 2 do not. The 3 images I do receive have a REALLY slow lag in real time- ie- 30+sec from someone walking thru the room until it shows on the screen. The picture is not smooth either- very very choppy.

Back on the switch- there's a MANAGEMENT PORT, which, the manual says to only use to access the switch settings- it's only a 10/100. This is the port that I've had CAT6 running to out of the NIC2 on my machine. I switched that cable to a different port (#8) on the switch- and after that- I get the same results (ie- bad lag, only 3 cams showing, etc).

So- the issues now are:

-5 Cams found, but only getting picture on 3 of them

-Milestone not finding cams

-Video is very slow/choppy w/ bad lag

-NIC1 still not hooked up

We're getting there! Any ideas to resolve these issues?

Thanks guys!!!

You probably did this but make sure the Milestone Device Packs are up to date (7.0 is the latest, you can see what is installed now by going to Control Panel/Programs) as they only recently started supporting these new Hikvision models natively. I added mine manually myself because I can see that each is being added as a Hikvision not as ONVIF. Are the two cameras the same model as the 3 that work properly?

Check the Hikvision video settings, make sure the iFrame matches the frame rate (people had issues with this at the default setting), make sure the resolution is set, the bit rate is high enough.

Managed switches are more work but worth it in the end, so what I did is created a VLAN with all the camera ports, works for me. Since mine is all PoE ports, I used one gigabit port to connect to my gigabit switch I use for my PC, NVR PC, NAS and such.

Hey Buell-

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the pack version.

4 of the cams are bullets, the other one is a dome. The dome and 2 of the bullets are working. 2 of the other bullets are not. Those 2 are the same as the other 2 that are showing up. Could they be not showing because of bandwidth/setting issues?

Dumb question here- but- where do I adjust the camera settings? ie- iframe, frame rate, resolution, etc.

Lastly- should I go back into that switch and setup a separate VLAN different than the default one labeled 'Management'? Do I label those ports as Tagged or Untagged? Not sure what 'tagged' means in that control panel...

Hey Buell-

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the pack version.

4 of the cams are bullets, the other one is a dome. The dome and 2 of the bullets are working. 2 of the other bullets are not. Those 2 are the same as the other 2 that are showing up. Could they be not showing because of bandwidth/setting issues?

Dumb question here- but- where do I adjust the camera settings? ie- iframe, frame rate, resolution, etc.

Lastly- should I go back into that switch and setup a separate VLAN different than the default one labeled 'Management'? Do I label those ports as Tagged or Untagged? Not sure what 'tagged' means in that control panel...

Very roughly:

Untagged if a device is plugged into that port (i.e cam).

Tagged if the port plugs into another switch (i.e joining 2 switches)

Brenning

There is absolutely no need to setup a VLAN on your network. You have one nic, one switch and your cameras.

The switch default ip is 192.168.1.20

Set your one nic to 192.168.1.10 (plug your switch into this port.)

Set you cameras to 192.168.1.30 on up

Set your other nic on your computer to DHCP and see what address you get. If that nic receives a ip address on the same subnet 192.168.1.x then you will need to change your to 192.168.2.x or any other subnet then 192.168.1.x.

Awesome! I got it working! Thanks for all the help! Here's what I had to do-

I had to login to the ToughSwitch at 192.168.1.20. I had to change the IP Address to 192.168.2.20, and then the GATEWAY to 192.168.2.1, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

I then had to change the settings in my NIC2 to: 192.168.2.10, subnet 255.255.255.0.

Then, once I enabled the NIC1 w/ DHCP it all came together!

*NOTE- that ToughSwitch has a Management Port, which, they recommend you use to access the Switch Control Panel (although you don't have to). That port is only 10/100. When I switched the cable from my NIC2 to one of the Regular 1-8 ports on that switch (I turned off POE), I then got the Network to say it's at 1gig (instead of 100mb).

I have other questions/issues- but that's for a different thread. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help! YOU ROCK!