Sign in to follow this  
tonyvlx

Q-see vs Swann vs Lorex HD IP NVR Systems

Looking for a basic kit from one of the following manufactures,Q-see vs Swann vs Lorex HD IP NVR Systems What would be the better brand to choose and why?? Thanks

The best deal I've seen on a starter system is the Messoa, 4 cameras + 8 channel NVR with a hard drive and switch for $999. The cameras alone cost about $300 each.

The reason is this, when you buy Swann or Lorex, you are not buying a product they made, it's being OEM'ed from various companies in China, sometimes good, sometimes bad. If you have an issue with the camera, they didn't make it so they may not have the best resources to help. I get that these products sell for less, but honestly, If you like the product, get it from the manufacturer, Hikvision because at least they can provide access to their latest firmware updates and know the product they make better than anyone else. ADI, a major wholesaler has a Hikvision bundle sale going on now, so it could be price competitive.

Messoa is a manufacturer in Taiwan, like ACTi, Vivotek, Geovision, Brickcom. Their support and service will be better and they will have a wider selection of cameras than OEM's will have.

Another choice is ACTi cameras, mostly because they have excellent NVR software that's free that you can run on a fairly slow PC. Their camera prices are pretty competitive. With cameras now coming out in 10MP, it would seem to restrictive for me to settle for an NVR only capable of 1080P (2MP). That's why I prefer a PC with NVR software over an NVR, the flexibility for the future. I had my NVR PC for a few years, but switched software 3 times. Separating the investment made sense for me.

On Sale Now at Costco.ca

Lorex® 8-channel High-Definition Digital NVR with 2TB HDD & 4 HD 1080p Weatherproof Cameras

$899.99

$350 OFF

What do you guys think of this deal? Thanks

The best deal I've seen on a starter system is the Messoa, 4 cameras + 8 channel NVR with a hard drive and switch for $999. The cameras alone cost about $300 each.

Who has this deal? This one I just haven't been able to locate..

???

If any of you are in the Los Angeles area, Swann (every Friday next few weeks) are having a sale.

Swann Communications U.S.A. Inc.

12636 Clark Street,

Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670 USA

I picked up 4 IP820-1080p's 2.1 Megapixels- Open box stuff- 6 month warranty. @ $400

Q-See has all-metal cameras, the Lorex and Swann kit I have seen were plastic. It doesn't really change anything to the image but on the long run it may keep them in good condition for longer. Also, I live in Québec and we have very cold temperatures in the winter, so plastic may crack.

The DVRs are good, and I haven't compared to the other brands, but their proprietary video file format is definitely something you want to avoid, especially if you're on Linux or Mac OS X.