Teliko

Need opinion about a relatively unknown camera: INS-IPPTZ11

Hello all,

Can anybody tell me if this camera is worth buying:

INS-IPPTZ11 - CCTV 1/2.8 2.0MP 1080P HD 30x Optical Zoom Auto Tracking High Speed Dome IR IP PTZ Camera

http://www.inesun.com/CCTV-1-2.8-2.0MP-1080P-HD-30x-Optical-Zoom-Auto-Tracking-High-Speed--19452.html

It is commonly offered on eBay. I have no experience in these kind of cameras but to me this one looks like it has really superb specifications.

Only one thing makes me suspicious. There is no mention of ethernet or RJ-45 port… only RS-485(not even sure for what it is used, first time I hear about that port).

But it does say it is an IP camera. What does that mean? Did they not mention the ethernet port because it is assumed that such camera must have one. Or could it really be that there is no direct ethernet connectivity? Would I then need also a separate DVR to use it?

Basically I'm looking for a standalone camera with HTTP web interface. Does this camera have that?

Does anyone know who produces these cameras and where could I get some more detailed specifications and manuals?

Anyones help or info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Edited by Guest

The problem with cameras that come from small manufacturers is it will likely not work with popular NVR software, these small manufacturers rely on others for components and firmware and may be hard get warranty support or service. Most of these are not PoE, mostly because high-power midspans can be pricey compared with 12V power supplies.

The price is good, if it works, continues to work and meets your needs.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm basically prepared to take a risk with this camera with regards of the things that you mentioned...

But I'm still not sure if I can use it without a DVR ?! ... Judging from your experience(and if you did glimpse the specs of this one) do you think that this one does have an ethernet port? Will I be able to hook it up directly to my home router?

I have an inesun analog ptz. I cover it extensively in my vids in my signature link. Of course it's not an IP camera, but it is very much like the one you're looking at as far as the camera itself. I like my inesun for sure. But I would caution you about purchasing the camera you're considering. Understand that if you're here in the states, if it needs service you're screwed. No way it's worth sending it back at a cost of at least 100 bucks. So right there, you'd be much better getting a camera from a vendor here in the states, such as a dahua ptz. More costly, but SO much more worth it. The other thing about inesun ptz's is they tend to use cheap cameras that don't support every menu item listed. Just because there is a menu item doesn't mean it will actually tweak the camera. The CAMERA has to support everything- not always the case. The best feature of the camera is the way the IR is handled- very well done.

As far as their IP cameras, I have to agree that it might be tough to get it into a hardware nvr but I wouldn't know for sure. You might be stuck using only their web software and who knows how good that is. All things considered, I'd advise you to avoid the risk of purchase. The sellers of these cameras on ebay are very nice and attentive to get the sale, but afterwards you can't really count on them for technical support. I never got an answer directly to any question from inesun ever. The sellers aren't much help either. I took a chance on mine because I had 500 bucks to gamble on a ptz that I actually DO like, but it's a straight forward analog ptz. No way I'd risk bigger bucks on an IP camera from overseas through ebay. Shop around- get one from a local vendor in the states who carries and supports their cameras. Like I said, dahua is one to shop for. They are excellent ptz's. Good luck.

Shockwave199 thanks for the reply,

I'm actually not from the states, I'm in Europe(specifically Croatia), and the choice of IP PTZ cameras that I can buy here is very limited or extremely expensive(4 times more than this inesun, for same specs). My point is I'm basically screwed if I need service, regardless if I buy from a USA or China.

So I'm still considering this one. I was just wondering if some of you guys who have experience already with all sorts of cameras can tell someone like me with no experience: will this camera be plug and play for me. My intended use is as sort of panoramic/weather camera on the roof of my house. I have only a common WiFi/LAN router in the house and I intended to connect this camera with a LAN cable. Now on the specification sheet of this camera there is no mention of an RJ-45(ethernet) connector. However I think I can see an RJ45 connector on the pictures, it is a bad picture since I can not actually see the RJ-45 port but a small black rectangle on a cable(someone took that picture from above) that I believe could be it.

Now on the specification sheet they mention RS-485. What is this connector for? Could that black rectangle be RS-485? Do I then need some sort of hardware to connect between that RS-485 and my ethernet router for this camera to work? Could it be that the camera really has no RJ-45 but only that RS-485? Does such type of cameras exist?

If you can't get an answer to every question you have to your complete satisfaction from your seller and/or inesun directly, avoid the purchase. Do not ask them the questions and offer an answer as to what you think it is. Otherwise they'll just yes you. Make THEM answer your questions. If they can't, avoid the purchase. That's the best advice I can give you. Good luck.

Many PTZ cameras, analog or IP have RS-485 connectors. This is so you can attached a PTZ joystick to control the camera quicker than by using the web interface which can be clumsy/slow on any network PTZ camera. This is totally optional if you chose to use that or not.

Since this hobby is new to you, consider that if very few people have this camera, you may not be able to get much help from the forum. You can also get the Dahua SD6982A PTZ, much more common.

The 485 line would have to go into either a ptz controller or an NVR, so there's another question of compatibility and that may require using their controller and they are available by the ton on ebay, cheap. Sometimes they even include them in the auction with the camera. The pictures for the camera in your link have changed, so it's tough to know what does what now- another odd thing.

It's quite easy to understand, but I had trouble with this too originally. If you know nothing about what you want to buy, then your only criteria becomes features for price. We are too close to it so we know better but newbies don't. Heck, you can tell them Axis is great, but they think it's all the same, might as well save a few bucks. Then to someone that's never had a good camera, it will be the best camera they ever had, go on Amazon and give that product 5 stars. Foscam is a prime example.

For example, take a guitar. If you have an interest but never played, don't know anything about it, you may go to a music store or Costco, and a get a pretty acoustic guitar for $99 that looks for all intent and purposes is like a Gibson, Martin, Takamine or Taylor. You may strum both and come to the conclusion that why would anyone pay more than $99 for a guitar. You take your $99 guitar home, try to play it, maybe take lessons, get frustrated because it's hard to play, not because playing guitar is hard, because playing cheap guitars is hard.

I'll just add my US$0.02 and echo the other inputs.

IP cams are just as much about software and support quality as they are optics and video quality, and many would say software is more important. This is different from analog cams.

If you have issues with poorly-supported cameras, you will spend many hours struggling with them, and there won't be much community support to help you. No-name or off-brand cameras will save you money up front, but they will cost far more in the long run.

I wouldn't buy any camera that didn't have broad community support on the forums, as well as a vendor website with easy firmware downloads and accessible technical support, unless I was prepared to throw it in the junk box if things didn't work out.