victorianti

CCTV Dvr - HDMI vs VGA output?

Hi all,

I would like to know if a dvr with HDMI output would give a better picture than a dvr with VGA output. Considering that the video input is BNCon both DVRs and not HDMI. So, if you connect a dvr supporting hdmi output to a full HD monitor would the image/video you get be better than the dvr with VGA output?

DVR examples to compare:

Qvis (HDMI supported): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-DVR-Qvis-4ch-960H-BNC-VGA-cctv-video-recorder-1TB-Hard-Drive-1000GB-HDD-/271329794360?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3f2c841938

Domar (VGA only supported): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channel-CCTV-DVR-Domar-Video-Recorder-Camera-D1-H264-320GB-2TB-HDD-/171046434658?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item6d7d6d9092

Hi tomcctv,

thanks for your reply. As I see from your answer, HDMI output would not make any difference on the video's quality. Am I right?

Is Qvis well known out there? I have not so much experience on these stuff And you are right, the other one doesn't seem to have any trademark at all!

victorianti,

Yes right. No differences. Why?

We have been using VGA type connection for monitor connection for long time. No complaints on the graphic /video viewing quality of PC monitor.

HDMI means the device can transfer high quality video. From other aspect,it means this device gets good resolution.

VGA meas the resolution at 640×480

Only VGA can directly shows what's the specific resolution a device is

but for HDMI device,we have to check the specific configuration.

HDMI means the device can transfer high quality video. From other aspect,it means this device gets good resolution.

VGA meas the resolution at 640×480

Only VGA can directly shows what's the specific resolution a device is

but for HDMI device,we have to check the specific configuration.

"Johnair" you may be confusing "VGA resolution" with the "VGA connector"

TomCCTV is correct in stating there shouldn't be any difference in this instance for video quality, all else being equal.

DAC bandwidth, PI filters, connector/cable quality & cable bandwidth limitations CAN have an effect on VGA quality, though. Many computer video cards have a 400MHz DAC on the VGA connector, which appears to be suitable for 2048x1536 resolution, or so.

To the OP...the only difference (again, with all things being equal) is that HDMI can pass audio to your monitor if it's equipped with speakers.

... I've connected smallish (20-inch to 23-inch) monitors via both cable types with no noticeable difference...and you won't see any major difference in your system either until you go to better cameras.

Just my thoughts!