Sign in to follow this  
bosko303

false motion detection

I keep getting false motion detection on my Messoa NCC800 IP cam. I have the motion detection sensitivity set to 1 (out of 100) but I'm still getting false alerts. Changes in light seem to be triggering it. oh and on that setting it doesn't detect motion at all haha so yeah it's fairly useless.

That will happen with virtually all IP cameras. The motion windows you draw on most cameras I've used have two options, sensitivity and percent of change. The sensitivity is the speed at which it should pick up changes, the percentage is the number of pixels that have to change in your window. Usually this is set to something like 5% by default in my software, but for some large motion windows I have it as low as 1%.

When lighting changes, then virtually 100% of your pixels change, so that is detected as motion. Happens with all IP cameras that I've ever used. Partly cloudy days will be a lot of false motion hits as shadows go by that is for sure, it is the nature of motion detection on IP cameras.

You could use PIR sensors to totally eliminate false detections, and not use motion on the cameras I guess. In the end I live with them, with motion on 23 cameras at one of locations I still get a year of footage on just 3tb. Other locations have 90 days or so on just 1tb with less cameras, it varies of course.

Also you could find analytics that are a lot smarter on what they record, just people or cars for example. That is costly, but would also help. I live with falses as with 1000 cameras nothing at all is as cost effective as adding more HD space if needed!

That little camera has alarm I/O. The way that works is you get an alarm PIR motion detector, should be relatively cheap, maybe $20-25 for a name brand, DSC, Bosch. Honeywell. Run 12V to it for power, run the other 2 wires from the motion detector to the camera. Then instead of using the camera's video motion detection, trigger recording using the alarm input. You can mount the motion detector higher up as most alarm companies do and many have pet immunity which is a fancy word for having a piece of plastic that blocks low moving objects. Very accurate, I may get one false alert per year.

My cubes from Axis and AVTech all have PIR built in, but doesn't appear like Messoa wanted to go this route although I like the IR LEDs vs. the white LEDs on the Axis and AVTech.