Sign in to follow this  
GLOCKer

New to CCTV, some general questions...

First off, I want to thank everybody ahead of time for any help or suggestions you may be able to provide. I know these forums have search functions, and you guys probably get a bunch of the same questions over and over again. Unfortunately, I don't have lots of time (I'm at work) to search out the answers and it's easier to be lazy to just post the questions! So thank you for your patience!

So, I'm in the process of installing a Lorex LH154000 DVR system with eight 960h resolution cameras at my house. I know this is not top of the line equipment, but it allows me to stay in a price bracket that doesn't upset the wife. What a PITA it has been trying to run wires and stuff, we've only managed to get three of the eight cameras installed.

The cameras have IR capability, but I noticed that with the one camera I have up inside of the house, in low light situations, the IR seems to make a hot spot of illumination and the rest of the room is dark. I've ordered an 850nM wavelength IR illuminator (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007E5MK6G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 tired to make it a hot link but don't know how) to install in that room. First off, is the wavelength that security cameras use pretty much an industry standard and will this light work for my purposes?

Do you guys have any recommendations for lighting my front yard with better at night? I am under the impression that the IR illuminators only work when the IR hits objects and is reflected back to the camera. Will a light like I posted work to illuminate my front yard if, lets say, someone drive across my lawn again about 15 yards from the camera? I don't expect to get the highest quality video of the vehicle but will I be able to capture an image that will allow me to distinguish the make and model of the car?

Also, due to the layout of my house, the DVR is not set up in my master bedroom like I'd prefer. Someone suggested to me that I run an HDMI or coaxial cable back to my bedroom and then use an IR blaster to control the DVR. Can anybody tell me about IR blasters and if this idea is worth a damn?

Thanks again guys!

ETA:

Here is how the view looks from these cameras as they sit now without any additional IR illumination added to them:

237557_1.png

237557_2.png

You could get IR lights or you could just mount some regular white light which will be beneficial in two or three ways.

1. It helps the camera see better

2. It is a deterrent to bad guys and general dumbasses

3. If mounted near the camera it can mask the fact that there is a camera watching them at all, which may prevent the camera from being whacked with a bat or yanked from the wall.

As for the hot spot, that is how 99.9% of those cameras with built in IR work. They do not spread the light beam, but rather focus on the center of the viewing area because that is generally the location of the "important" thing in the image. It is also far cheaper from a manufacturing perspective to use clear glass rather than a diffuser or LED's pointed at various angles to increase coverage. For a situation where you absolutely must have even light to give you the entire scene evenly then you have the same options as outside, but you need to be mindful to mount those light sources outside of the image or they will have the opposite effect from what you are seeking.