Sign in to follow this  
choi0706

General Question about NVRs

I'm looking to purchase a 8 or 16ch NVR setup for my home, is there any resources on where to begin? My budget is about 2k for the NVR/cameras/switch/wires.

I like the idea of using POE to simplify the installation. But which switch is reliable?

I've got an idea on where I want to place all my cameras, but the front door.. I've got a brick face, with tall ceilings.. I feel the camera is best positioned as eye level as possible but I'm not sure about fishing wire behind a brick wall.. Otherwise I'm looking at mounting it inside and behind window..Any suggestions?

My home is pre-wired with cat5e for telephone, but should I be upgrading to Cat6? And should the cameras be on a separate switch than my home network? I'd like to keep costs down and share one large one..

Edited by Guest

Cat5e is just fine for cameras, as for the switch, the Netgear SmartSwitch series is a great switch at a very reasonable price. As for dealing with a brick wall you have two options. You can surface mount a piece of conduit, or you can drill straight thru and feed it from the inside. The surface mount option can be painted to match pretty easily, or you can mount the camera slightly higher to use less conduit.

As for where to mount the camera, I have a few out of the box ideas there too. Either use a webcam (with a USB extension cable) to give yourself an idea of what a persons face would look like at several different mounting heights. Also take into account things like street lights, porch lights, or anything else that will wash out or change the exposure of the shot. Try to keep all of those OUT of the scene if possible. You can do the same (or similar) with a camera phone too. Keep in mind, that the field of view on these cameras is going to be a LOT wider than the actual CCTV camera you choose. Just focus on the center of the image, and you will get a great idea of what is possible out of your new setup.