bzinsky

remotely accessible cameras with pay per use data?

So I am attempting to design a security camera system with remote access using a data connection that is pay as you go.

I have a property management business. I am attempting to design multiple devices that can be controlled through web access, but without using a hard data line. It is just not cost effective to install internet connection in buildings just for the sake of camera's, thermostats, door locks, etc. I have found a device call the Karma, which is a wireless router that gets a data feed from the cellular network. I am using it because the data costs $17 per GB, but unlike all other cellular data connections, the data does not expire. So essentially my reoccurring cost for the connection is entirely dependent on how much data is being used. I have already talked to several manufactures about thermostats, and eventually found one that only uses 600kb/day, which is about 1/10th of what all the rest of the manufacturers use. These hardware statistics were not easy to find, because frankly, nobody cares how much data these things pull when they are designed to connect to a wireless router.

So to get to the point. I am looking to design a cost effective camera system that can link to my wireless router. Since I will eventually be needing to install a couple hundred of these systems, cost is a high priority, quality not so much. While I will need to view the camera remotely, I will not need to do it often. I'm not overly concerned with the data transmissions while viewing the video. I am concerned about what sort of data is being transmitted in the backround on regular basis that is out of my control. For example the thermostats I was researching typically connected with the network every few seconds, relayed information to the server, loaded various pieces of data like weather, checked for updates, etc etc. Mostly because most of them were intended to use data connections with an unlimited supply of data.

So just to itemize requirements

-view the live cameras once in a blue moon just to check up on a property. Realistically it's mostly for determining if there is snow that needs to be plowed, if there's a flooded basement, if the hallways are dirty, etc etc. Data transmission while viewing is not a super high priority, but it would be nice if I'm not using anywhere close to a MB/s. Not sure if that's asking too much. Actually the ability to transmit a still shot instead of video would be great!

-store video locally incase of illegal activity.

-only transmit data online when I want to view it remotely, no backround data to check to see if the system is running, no sneaky data feeds for things like firmware updates or performance data for the manufacturer.

-ease of installation is a huge bonus. Would very much not like to run any connections to a central location. To transmit data from within the local camera network, wireless connectivity is borderline mandatory.

-solar powered would be awesome if it is available. Would be great if I could simply make some cameras completely wireless. Reason being that some install locations would be a real pain. Also sometimes the installations may be temporary. If each system was borderline "mobile" and I could move it from one property to another, that would be really cool.

- hardware cost and labor are paramount, if there is money to be saved, I'd like to save it on the quality of the images.

Another caveat. Some of these buildings are large. Many of the cameras would be out of range of my little wireless router/modem. Any networking solutions to that? There is no option for hard connections the modem, it will only connect to devices via wifi.

I feel like this system is not that complicated or expensive, it's just a matter of assembling multiple basic pieces that have already existed for the last 15 years. The only problem is, I don't understand networking or security cameras enough to put it together.

Here is my connection to the outside world, which is the cheapest possible way I have found to transmit small amounts of data from any location I want.

https://yourkarma.com/

Thanks for your help guys!

I actually read all of your post, but I am not sure I understand much what you are asking for. Unless it is just a post to spam yourkarma.com, that is...

Any IP device that can be used on a fixed internet connection (cable, DSL, whatever) can also be used on an IP cellular connection (3G, 4G, whatever). Any existing wireless camera can already be linked to your wireless router. Then you can check at the extras on each camera (SD storage, audio, outdoors, alarms, relays, etc).

How many total cameras will be at each site and how many of them do you plan to view at any one time?

If you have 17gb/month you should be fine if you are only viewing these cameras for a few minutes at a time. The problem as I see it is getting your DVR to talk to the Karma hotspot.

Here is the way it should look:

Karma.png.3eccd96a1fa92ed3287324b1e29f1664.png

As for the equipment to use, there are plenty of $50-$75 cameras out there that will be more than adequate for your needs, but I would at least get 600TVL. I would not skimp too much on the DVR though. The super bargain DVR's tend to have issues with remote viewing. For an 8 channel unit I would be looking in the $450-$700 range (including the hard drive).

I can recommend plenty of units to you, but it would help to know where you are located.