pipabix

Built in POE or a seperate POE Switch?

going buying an NVR, and have seen some concerns about built in POE cameras dropping out.

does a Switch work better?

I do not have any experience with POE NVR's. It seems to me that a regular NVR with a POE switch would be more versatile, and easier to upgrade/troubleshoot.

I went this route, and my system has been running good for almost a year.

3216 NVR and a Trendnet switch.

Depends if you want to access the cameras separately, but I would favor the separate PoE switch. I would also favor a PC with NVR software any day to an NVR.

I was looking at that, Building my own nvr.

but thought it a step too far, wonder is their any thread here about doing this? whats needed etc. .

ill have 8 2/3 mp cams recording at 15fps.

will probably be only able to record at 1080 looking at some nvrs with 8 cams

You can get a regular windows PC to do this, but should be dedicated to the task as it's on 24/7, no power saving sleep mode. The speed of the PC depends on software. Lower cost software tends to require a faster CPU, maybe an i7 for the 8 cameras, higher end software tends to need less CPU resources so an i3 or G2030 is enough for 8 cameras. So a balance of where to invest, in better hardware or better software.

Lower end includes BlueIris, Zoneminder, iSpyConnect, AxxonSoft. They tend to be free to a moderate cost.

Higher end would be Milestone, Exacq, Avigilon which tend to start at $50ish per camera for their entry level versions.

Most of these can be downloaded so you can try them out for free for a period of time like 14-30 days.

you got me thinking today, ive been reading up on IP cams and NVRs for weeks, now im reading up on PCs,

I think what i should do, is order a camera, and have a pay with it on some of the software you mentioned on my existing pc.

then take it from there,

its hard to determine what pc spec is enough for your cameras,

is it the camera or is it the software that you use that determines the performance of the pc that you need?

in the 4/5 hours of reading to day, id say i could get a good system for cheaper than an nvr, and it would be a better system, and more open for upgrades etc.

you got me thinking today, ive been reading up on IP cams and NVRs for weeks, now im reading up on PCs,

I think what i should do, is order a camera, and have a pay with it on some of the software you mentioned on my existing pc.

then take it from there,

its hard to determine what pc spec is enough for your cameras,

is it the camera or is it the software that you use that determines the performance of the pc that you need?

in the 4/5 hours of reading to day, id say i could get a good system for cheaper than an nvr, and it would be a better system, and more open for upgrades etc.

My experience if it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39387

Summary: i5 will do what you want but make sure you understand hardware motion record and software motion record. Software motion record taxes the system a lot more.

For the PoE go separate, if not for the fact you can go FANLESS. Might not seem like much now, but fans get real old, real fast if you are within earshot. Also if the PoE built into a NVR dies, you're screwed then too.

would an i5 do 8 1.3/3mp cameras on milestone xproject go?

or would an i7 be more efficient on resources plus I'd be future proofing it.

We usually go to I7 if we think the customer may ever expand past 5 or so cameras if it looks like that is not going to happen the I5 works fine. we tend to load up on ram and put in a primary drive for software and seperate drives for storage.

1.3MP and 3MP are completely different. 8 1.3MP? Fine. 8 3MP? 15-35% load depending on if your camera does hardware motion record.

IMHO, anything over 40% load is unacceptable. It's generating more heat and using more power. I guess if you have a giant case and don't care about power usage it's fine. I went USFF for my i7 case which excess heat is not an option.

I would get i7 Ivy bridge or haswell, which ever is cheaper. i7 complete desktop should be <$600 easily these days.

We usually go to I7 if we think the customer may ever expand past 5 or so cameras if it looks like that is not going to happen the I5 works fine. we tend to load up on ram and put in a primary drive for software and seperate drives for storage.

I have yet to experience RAM issues with 4GB. The backend recording for milestone is still 32bit. The client is 64bit. Regardless, none of the software I tested used more than 2GB. What am I missing? The only thing I can think of is that the only function of the machine is being an NVR vs NVR+media streamer+NAS+etc+etc.

I'm using a 1st gen i3 with 8 cameras (5 3MP, 1 3MP, 2 1.3MP), runs about 20% busy, so an i5 would be more than enough. If you are buying new, have you thought of a getting a server? The Dell T20 Poweredge server with a Xeon E3-1225, 1TB drive, 6 drive bays, 4GB RAM is $499. Having a Xeon processor has more bragging rights than consumer Intel i5/i7, LOL. The problem with desktop PC's for the consumer market is running them 24/7 at high loads may lower it's life expectancy.

I'm using a 1st gen i3 with 8 cameras (5 3MP, 1 3MP, 2 1.3MP), runs about 20% busy, so an i5 would be more than enough. If you are buying new, have you thought of a getting a server? The Dell T20 Poweredge server with a Xeon E3-1225, 1TB drive, 6 drive bays, 4GB RAM is $499. Having a Xeon processor has more bragging rights than consumer Intel i5/i7, LOL. The problem with desktop PC's for the consumer market is running them 24/7 at high loads may lower it's life expectancy.

well, i see where your coming from, while i havent any CCTV yet, never installed one, i am good at computers etc. While i read and know how nvrs work, and now how a pc based system would work. I ask how would a server work,

ok the poe switch is directed towards the T20, and I can use my tablet or laptop for the viewing of the cams,

is the xprojectgo downloaded and running on the server?

it certainly would be more robust and probably more suited to the job than a std pc.

but in ireland look at the prices of a T20, which you quoted above.

http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/poweredge-t20/fs

i think the one you mentioned is 3rd over, pricey enough when you add 23% VAT. which would be €564 delievered to me

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/desktops?~ck=mn#!facets=40186~0~3778514&p=1&overrides=

New Inspiron 3000

this I5 comes in at €600 all charges and delivery.

Seriously thinking (looking at some of the prices mentioned here, id be better of building it). . id easily do it, with the support thats on offer here.

and most people here are quoting $. . . at todays rate that $818 for the above I5

ya, best stay away from Dell, and start breaking down a list of parts that i need.

nice few websites over here, and i know theres one in Germany that a lot of Irish buy from for PC parts.

great feed back lads, keep it coming,

but i guess you will be telling go build with these prices

Cheers

Pip

Sure, didn't realize you were in Europe where things can be more expensive due to taxes and import duties. It's a little different running a PC 24/7 at higher loads for processor and disk than a PC that is on for a few hours a day to surf the web so don't skimp on the case, the power supply and fans (CPU, case, power supply) as one bad fan or power supply can ruin your day.