Sign in to follow this  
jasongallant

Remote Download Files from Swann DVR (SSH or other?)

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a Swann Pro-Series 9-Channel DVR (SWDVK-942008F) to study nocturnal behavior of fish in my lab. Rather than particular incidents, I want to download an evening's worth of data every day. The SwannView software is terrible for downloading each file that results-- I have to manually click and download each one, wait for the download to complete, etc.

I've tried using the "backup" feature by USB, however it is PAINFULLY slow, even when turning the AVI transcoding off. I'm looking for something quick, or at least scriptable so I can walk away while it's working.

I've been crusing this forum and google for ways of remotely accessing by command line, or using some other software approach to get the files off-- the only idea that I can come up with is to open the unit and plug the internal HDD into my laptop. Surely there is a better way?

I'm curious if anyone here has a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

I'm open to buying another type of DVR if there is one with better software/network access, so long as I can keep the cameras, which are quite good for night vision, IMHO.

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a Swann Pro-Series 9-Channel DVR (SWDVK-942008F) to study nocturnal behavior of fish in my lab. Rather than particular incidents, I want to download an evening's worth of data every day. The SwannView software is terrible for downloading each file that results-- I have to manually click and download each one, wait for the download to complete, etc.

I've tried using the "backup" feature by USB, however it is PAINFULLY slow, even when turning the AVI transcoding off. I'm looking for something quick, or at least scriptable so I can walk away while it's working.

I've been crusing this forum and google for ways of remotely accessing by command line, or using some other software approach to get the files off-- the only idea that I can come up with is to open the unit and plug the internal HDD into my laptop. Surely there is a better way?

I'm curious if anyone here has a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm most DVR should be able to check more than 1 file to back up...like this: (i just clicked on the 'All' icon to check all the files)

If you want to save time and money and just switch DVR, you can take out the hard drive and use it in this type of DVR which has this function. its just a very basic unit costing less than $150. It backs up as AVI file automatically if you use backup function via web. if that Swann DVR really don't have it, have you tried their CD software ?

Backup.JPG.30da8991dcae64d7e5edac87577d0684.JPG

Thanks for the reply--

the DVR definitely has a USB backup feature, it's just that the copy is VERY slow. Ideally, I'd like to copy the files by network, and feel that this should be possible. It almost seems that the network copies are faster than the USB copies, which I feel should not be true.

However the software prevents doing network copies easily, without sitting and clicking. I'm looking for some way to either SSH into the box, or for suggestions as to the best boxes to use in the future still compatible with the cameras that I already bought in the kit.

Hmm most DVR should be able to check more than 1 file to back up...like this: (i just clicked on the 'All' icon to check all the files)

[attachment=0]Backup.JPG[/attachment]

If you want to save time and money and just switch DVR, you can take out the hard drive and use it in this type of DVR which has this function. its just a very basic unit costing less than $150. It backs up as AVI file automatically if you use backup function via web. if that Swann DVR really don't have it, have you tried their CD software ?

I found their user manual, can you try to click on the box next to 'Ch' to select all the files? (did i get the right product? lol)

Edit: Ohh I just saw your reply, the speed is the issue...

Swann.thumb.JPG.addf9819c45eff7f0edbc52d49b9cebb.JPG

Yes, this is the right product. I've tried this, but for the amount of data that I need to extract, it is too slow via USB.

I don't even need to transcode to AVI, as I am using ffmpeg on my mac to add the H264 headers. It works very well. I just need to get the files to my mac more efficiently....

I found their user manual, can you try to click on the box next to 'Ch' to select all the files? (did i get the right product? lol)

[attachment=0]Swann.JPG[/attachment]

Edit: Ohh I just saw your reply, the speed is the issue...

USB backup SHOULD be the fastest, followed by LAN download.

If that Swann DVR is made by Hikvision (which I'm pretty sure it is, because their IP line is also by Hik), you can try out the Hikvision ivms 4200 software and do backup through that.

2nd way to backup is to use the Hikvision toolset's Remote backup function, I just started playing with it and seems you can set it up for auto-backup.

ivms 4200 download.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/download_more.asp?id=1296

Hikvision toolset download

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/01%20%20%20Software%20Tool%20Package/12%20%20%20Hikvision%20Tools%20Setup/

(Download the one with the later date)

Each of those software comes with user manuals for details if you go to the location where the program is installed (typically under program files)

Good luck! I'll let you know what I find using the toolset.