Sign in to follow this  
TSHERV

Newbie question - Manufacturing facility design

Hi,

I am new to the topic of surveillance systems and could use some help with system design. I work for a small 3 shift manufacturing company, and we are contemplating installing a camera system for the following reasons: employee productivity, security, and safety. I have 2 different rooms I'd like to cover. The first room is 50' x 141'. All areas are well lit and in a decent environment (no harsh conditions). Everything in the room is low (all equipment shorter than 6' tall) with no obstructions. The second room is larger. It's approximately 80' x 141' with conditions similar to the other area (well lit, etc.). Both areas have high ceilings.

I started working with a professional installer and the price went up fast. They were looking at around $10,000 to $15,000 just to get started. Some of the cameras they were quoting were $1,800 each (4 lens camera). This type of system is more than what I need. Right now I have no system, and am looking at getting started. We have gotten by for 40 years without a system. I don't feel I need anything high end.

I have a maintenance department that can run all of the CAT6 cable for me. We have the ability (maintenance dept & IT) to be able to install our own system. I'd like to spend more in the $3,000 range for a system. I'd like to be able to have mobile access to the cameras and be able to store 2 to 3 weeks of video. Here are my questions:

1) What kind of distance / range does a typical IP camera have?

2) What's the difference between a dome and a bullet camera?

3) Does anyone have a recommendation for a system?

4) I have a Costco nearby. Are the AvertX systems any good? Would these type of systems serve our purpose?

Thanks!

Hi TSHERV,

If you have a IT department within your business I definitely feel you should be able to install an IP surveillance system yourself. Just be prepared for a few hiccups along the way, so if you do not like to iron out a few issues have a professional do it for you.

Having said that, it is really difficult to recommend a system for you based on the information you provided.

But let me start by answering some of your questions first:

1) What kind of distance / range does a typical IP camera have?

Well, it depends on what kind of detail you want to capture. A typical 2-3MP camera can easily monitor your staff working 20-30m (62'-93') away. But if you are trying to capture any detail you will need to place them at an angle to capture close ups of staff working, I would not recommend more than 10m.

2) What's the difference between a dome and a bullet camera?

Most domes are meant to be used indoors and generally have a wider field of vision. Their lenses are generally hidden behind a plastic or glass lens cap which makes it hard to figure out where they are aimed at. They are much more difficult to tamper with as in moving them with a broomstick etc so they face away from their target coverage area. Bullet cameras are generally waterproof/dustproof and made to be used outdoors. They also have better IR illumination, but have a narrow field of view.

3) Does anyone have a recommendation for a system?

Without having a good grasp of your budget is is difficult to recommend something. HIKVision have good budget IP cameras. For budget builds I prefer installing software like Milestone or Exacq for easy access and customization potential in terms of intelligence from the system.

4) I have a Costco nearby. Are the AvertX systems any good? Would these type of systems serve our purpose?

I really do not like the premade systems that you can buy at Costco etc. They are generally of very poor quality.

If you are looking for a small budget system with lets say 5-15 cameras you can easily purchase a small PC to act as your server. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS140-70A4000HUX-Computer/dp/B00F6EK9J2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398069475&sr=1-1&keywords=Lenovo+ThinkServer+TS140

Install 2x2TB enterprise Western Digital or Seagate HDD's. Have your IT department run the cables and install a few PoE switches to power the cameras. You should be able to do all of this for around $6000 excluding labour.

Jester