buythisdashcam

Looking for Long Range Oudoor Video Camera to Record 200m

Looking for Long Range Oudoor Video Camera to Record 200 meters away

Hello,

I am sorry to ask here but I am looking for a long range video camera to record the entrance of an office and few cars 200 meters away.

Could you tell me what is the best value / price ?

I would like to keep the camera outside near the office window to avoid having 200 meters of cable.

I will keep the video camera and the screen near each others, this is why I want a camera that can record 200 meters away.

Thank you for your help.

We will need a bit more information than that. How much do you want to see at that distance. If you only want to see a general overview, that is much easier (and cheaper) than being able to ID a person or a car at 200 meters.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes I would like to be able to see the face of anyone who stays near the car or near the building.

Is there any famous shop or any shop affiliated to this forum where I can have a look ?

Thank you again.

You will need at least a 210mm lens to do what you are asking.

I know there are a few cameras that can provide that, but the only one I can recall right now is the Avigilon 29MP camera. It will require a professional DLSR lens that goes to AT LEAST 210mm, I am thinking 250 would be more ideal.

There are other super high end cameras from companies like Cohu HD, but I am guessing they will be a long way out of your price range.

"ID a person or a car at 200 meters"

You're missing extremely valuable piece of information.

At 200M what is the FOV or how wide of an area are you trying to ID a person or car? What is the lighting like at your target area? What is your budget?

Ok, to make it easier to understand, let's say that I only want to focus on a car parked at 200 meters.

I want to be able to see who opens the car to drive it.

I do not want to spend more than few thousand dollars.

I have found the 29M camera for $10000 and it is really too much.

Do you know how much would cost a camera that can focus on a car parked 200m away ?

Thanks again.

id suggest you purchased a ir speed dome as this type of camera gives complete protection by being able to be remotley set to an area but also it will be able to make out a person at that distance the flexibility would out way a static at that distance imhpo (in my honest professional opinion)

Ok, to make it easier to understand, let's say that I only want to focus on a car parked at 200 meters.

I want to be able to see who opens the car to drive it.

I do not want to spend more than few thousand dollars.

I have found the 29M camera for $10000 and it is really too much.

Do you know how much would cost a camera that can focus on a car parked 200m away ?

Thanks again.

OK side of car or rear of car? FOV is EVERYTHING in this calculation meaning if you don't have that number you will not be happy

id suggest you purchased a ir speed dome as this type of camera gives complete protection by being able to be remotley set to an area but also it will be able to make out a person at that distance the flexibility would out way a static at that distance imhpo (in my honest professional opinion)

But you left out one important point.... Someone must be controlling the camera!!

"ID a person or a car at 200 meters"

You're missing extremely valuable piece of information.

At 200M what is the FOV or how wide of an area are you trying to ID a person or car? What is the lighting like at your target area? What is your budget?

Yeah I just took what he said an assumed about a 15 foot square and went from there which is how I got the numbers I posted... do you disagree?

So just one car in a fixed location, not a car anywhere in a large parking lot?

If you got a lens that can ID someone at 200m, it will probably have a field of view of a few degrees. This is like looking through a telescope. So it will see an area say 4m wide at 200m. You will not likely get a good picture because during the day, heat bouncing off the cars will distort the image, at night, any haze, mist will block the image at that distance

You can't really use a PTZ, at least not the ones I'm familiar with that are like 30X optical zoom as it's not going to reach that far for ID purposes. Most of them only go about 120-130mm, great for up to 100m, maybe 150m.

You will not likely get a good picture because during the day, heat bouncing off the cars will distort the image, at night, any haze, mist will block the image at that distance

EXCELLENT point! I did not factor in real world conditions, I was simply looking at the numbers that would produce an image suitable to his needs.