Sign in to follow this  
jessepit

Camcorder vs cctv cam

I want to use CCTV cams instead of camcorder but i want to know the advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

What for?

Use camcorders for leisure pursuits and to capture sound where you want to react to a situation the subject, an area or location may have long periods of no activity but may be subject to activity you wish to record but without the necessity of being present the whole time. You do not need to record long periods of no movement, you can set CCTV to record on motion detection (pixel changes)

to save recording space but you do need to set it up correctly and fix the device to a wall or structure of some type so that it can be left unattended.

The idea of CCTV is to surveill areas of interest without the necessity to be in attendance, or to be in attendance but to give a single operator (or more) the ability to view and monitor larger areas and centralise that view in a single or multiple locations, which would otherwise be impossible by another method. Most CCTV has the ability to extend it's reach across the internet so can be viewed remotely in realtime or close to realtime.

Both devices have different jobs to do.

Use CCTV cameras where

I wrote an article about three or four months ago explaining how unrealistic it is to compare the two. They're meant for entirely different uses.

Decide whether you want a camera for security or home movies. Discussion over.