Sign in to follow this  
davek45

CCTV Newbie looking to buy.

Hi all,im looking to buy a 4 camera system that records. ive figured out D1,night vision and lense apperture etc,but confused as to which systems actually record. Ive checked out several systems on Ebay and Amazon,which claim to be recordable DVRs, yet under product description, they say there is no internal hard drive?

I was looking to spend around £100 on a system,but have been quoted £270 with a built in HD. which is well out of my price range. Can someone please explain to me this HD jargon? Or maybe if you can plug an external HD to record onto?

many thanks

Normally you can purchase DVRs with or without a hard drive. If you want to record, you obviously need a hard drive. The size of the hard drive you need will be dictated by your recording resolution, bitrate, and the amount of time you're looking to have backed up.

If you think you can do better on hard drive prices by buying one separately from a different retailer, just confirm that the hard drive you're buying is compatible with the DVR.

Many of the cheaper Chinese DVRs come without Hard Drives.

If your new to this, you may want to stick to buying with the hard drive. You won't be able to use an external USB type hard drive.