Sign in to follow this  
alex98816

New to this business of CCTV

Hello, I want to start this new CCTV business selling the product and installing them. Where do you suggest I can buy the systems for cheaper from a website and that present the camera catalogs.

What have you guys done?

You can really do it however works for you but it depends on how you wanna run it.

Will it be a side business?

I do my business on a side, I typically get my equipment through my account at ADI as well as through a couple if other supply houses. ADI offers a nice catalog without prices, so if a customer wants to see it, I can offer it.

I get some stuff online if needed, usually just smaller incidentals such as switches, accessories and what not.

Reselling stuff that you bought from an online retailer can be tough because if you're paying full price, there may be no room for markup.

Also you wanna make sure that you're supported by your supplier. I like ADI because if the support. If something fails, I can get it swapped out fairly easy.

Be aware that with some online sources, this may not be the case.

I sometimes find stuff cheaper online and if they are an authorized seller, I can take that price to ADI and they match it for me.

I'm also lucky enough to now have a wholesale supplier of Dahua and Hikvision local to me which I feel helps me to better sell ip cameras to residential customers.

I have also done installs for people who bought the camera system packages from Costco, etc. I just make sure they understand up front that I'm only installing and not supporting the product when it comes to warranty and what not.

What I like about that is that its all billable and I don't look like a goof when something fails quickly.