RichTJ99

Which PC specs for a Geovision PC based system.

Hi,

I have three PC's I can use for a Geovision dedicated PC Video server. The dedicated PC will be used only for this purpose.

I am using Geovision 7.0 if that matters. I want to know which one it will run best on (I dont want it to be overkill but "get the job done right").

System 1:

Asus Intel 845 mobo (P4PE)

2.8 GHZ (no HT, single core)

1 gig of ram

300 gig hard drive

ATI 9800 pro video card

System 2:

Asus P4C-800-E Delxue (Intel 865)

3.2 ghz (HT)

1 gig of ram

300 gig hard drive

ATI X800XT Video card

System 3:

Asus (I like asus) P5WD2 Premium (Intel 955)

3.2 Dual Core (OC'ed to 4ghz)

2 gigs of ram

300 gig hard drive

ATI 18000XT video card

Which one would do the job without being overkill? I dont want diminishing returns (if the 2.8 will do the job)?

System #1 should perform very well with the GEO card. No HT is a good thing. It would need to be disabled anyway if you were to use system

#2. System #3 I dont think will work with the dual core CPU. It would be overkill to use the 2 and 3 PC's. Especially if you are only using this PC as a dedicated DVR.

The 9800 Pro should perform very well and 1GB of DDR RAM is an ample amount.

I am a big fan of ASUS mobo's as well. Very stable boards.

I am surprised the Dual core wouldnt work well in this application (just surprised it would make a difference).

I have a 99 Wrangler sport btw.

My alter ego is JEEP_TJ_FREAK on PBB/JU/all of em. I thought I had seen your screen name before, rory's too kinda but I thin kit was full name.

yeah i was there a few years back, then i realised the bank still owns the jeep so im leaving it alone until its all mine

No HT is a good thing. It would need to be disabled anyway if you were to use system
Why would HT need to be disabled? Geovision recommend minimum P4-2.XC for their combo cards and all the "C" processors are HT enabled.

Just Curious.

System #1 should perform very well with the GEO card. No HT is a good thing. It would need to be disabled anyway if you were to use system .

I thought geo recomend ht?

anyhoo, is there a preference on a p4 3.0g, northwood or prescott?

i think socket 775 may be better for the combo cards as it will make use of pci-e g/cards.

Where did you see that?
A few posts above.
System #1 should perform very well with the GEO card. No HT is a good thing. It would need to be disabled anyway if you were to use system

#2. System #3 I dont think will work with the dual core CPU. It would be overkill to use the 2 and 3 PC's. Especially if you are only using this PC as a dedicated DVR.

The 9800 Pro should perform very well and 1GB of DDR RAM is an ample amount.

I am a big fan of ASUS mobo's as well. Very stable boards.