NewbieAtlanta

Home Nanny System

I am looking to install a 6 camera system in my house to be able to view the childcare provider and my daughter to make sure both are safe. I would also like to be able to view (streaming) the cameras online and record for reference. I like the idea of not having to load software on the remote computer, just ip in, but am confused after reading many messages and looking at DVR's.

I am not looking to break the bank, but want to have a decent system that will allow me to see what is going on over the net. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to set up my system and products to use. I was leaning towards a DVR as a nice, clean solution, but based on a demo of the Sanyo 3506/3009, I am thinking that DVR's aren't going to offer the internet viewing motion I would like. It was very choppy and actually annoying to have to have the refresh every 2 seconds along with a beep. Are there any DVR solutions that have streaming video or the capability? Also, what about affordable zoom camera's or PTZ cameras?

Help!

Well that is a fairly descent budget. Better than some who ask for all that stuff for $300. Some of the other questions that would help would be:

1) Will you have good lighting for every camera?

2) If you want to view of the internet. Do you have a fast upload speed on your connection, which is required for smooth viewing?

3) Do you wish to record the video?

4) Are you doing this your self?

5) Is it ok for the camera's to be seen?

These are just some of the questions to be answered. There are more.

Jasper,

Well, I figured this wouldn't be cheap and look at it as an investment in peace of mind. To you questions:

Lighting is decent, thought not great. Typical lightbulb lighting.

I have cable for internet, so I think it should be ok.

I would like to do continous recording and be ablt to hold about 1 week.

I will install myself to (hopefully) save money.

Ok for camera's to be seen, would prefer dome, just for low profile look.

Thanks for the help.

Okay. I will try to help you in general because without seeing the environment that you’re going to be installing the system in, it is real hard to make specific recommendations.

Lighting is a real important issue especially if you would like to be able to see in a really low light. If this is not an issue than the price of your cameras will be substantially lower. Camera quality and price is very considerably.

I would recommend getting some RG 59 95% copper braided shielded cable to connect your cameras to the DVR. Siamese cable which provides the coxial for the video signal and two additional wires to power your cameras is very popular. You also need an expensive cable stripper in order to prepare your cable for attaching your BNC connectors. I would suggest simple twist on connectors to avoid having to buy tools that you’ll never use again and also because the twist on are extremely easy-to-use.

I also recommend a power box to power all your cameras instead of one transformer for each camera. The computer system or DVR should be located in a room that is fairly secure.

If you’re technically inclined and familiar with computers I would suggest a DVR card inside of a computer. They have more features and are much more flexible as far as upgrading is concerned. Depending on the resolution that your record at and what frame rate you use will determine how large of a hard drive you will need in order to be able to accommodate one weeks worth of storage. I would think 250 GB at a minimum probably much more if you record at a higher frame rate and higher resolution.

In regards to your cable connection is not how fast it is able to download what matters is how fast it is able to upload. For example my cable connection at my home is 6 Mb downstream and only 384 kb upstream. If you were streaming six cameras all at the same time you’re lucky if you’ll get one frame per second at that upload speed. Of course compression of video images factors in heavily in regards to your frame rate you can get over the Internet.

This is just some additional information for food for thought. People on the forum that sell this stuff for a living will probably chime in and try to offer you an exact solution for your particular needs.

I hope this helps.