Sign in to follow this  
mondissimo

Installation Error

I was tring to install the Kodicom remote viewing software.

Not paying attention and installed server version on a Windows XP PC.

Cannot now login to PC to remove software as Ctrl-Alt-Del disabled and Ctrl-Alt-Shift F4 won't work.

Safe Mode no use as cannot remember Admin password when i set up PC (3 years old!!).

When i use Safe Mode can do Ctrl-Alt-Del, but not with safe mode with networking which would allow me to logon to server.

Any ideas? Would prefer not to reformat PC but seems only option.

If you need to reset your password or do a system restore, you can do this with Winternals. That is what I use for these type of situations.

Basically it will boot off your RAM into its own OS.

http://www.winternals.com/

Or you could use Ultimate Boot CD. There is no need for a reformat. And it is surprising that the software didn't recognize your OS version and prompt you when you chose Server edition.

XP, by default, saves several recovery points / restore points (depending on how much space is allocated to it.. I have like 4 gigs allocated and it has something like 13 days of recovery).

What this means is that you can restore the OS/registry to one of those previous configurations if you FUBAR it. Its kind of scarey that the most popular operating system in the world NEEDS this kind of function.. but at least its there for when we do...

To solve your problem, all you need to do is restore your registry to a point before the installation of the DVR server.. and then you can pretend none of this ever happened

If you can't get into the OS to do a restore point, you can still do it with the XP cd from the command prompt.

You basically drop to a dos prompt (text based recovery console) and then copy the rrecovery files over from the restore point directory to the system32 directory.

I haven't had to do it in a while but as I recall it is not too difficult but you have to pay atention as it is a multi-part procedure as you end up having to reboot 3 or 4 times depending ont the level you want to do it to.. but do a search on microsoft's knowledge base and you'll find step by step procedure.

you can start here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654#XSLTH3120121125120121120120