Dirk_D

DSL - 2 routers - why?

I'm mid install for a client who had to go with DSL instead of cable, and they gave him 2 DSL modems for increased speed.

Why 2?

What is DSL doing to compete with cable modem speed?

I'm mid install for a client who had to go with DSL instead of cable, and they gave him 2 DSL modems for increased speed.

Why 2?

What is DSL doing to compete with cable modem speed?

May be bonding ,may be fail over

who knows

That's the term (bonding) - thanks.

I was surprised to see the 2 modems. They have 2 phone lines, only one of the modem boxes had a # marked on it that said the main phone #, nothing on the other.

I ran 2 cat6 cables to the demarc (shared cabinet for building/businesses), a white/blue pair in one cable for L1 + DSL, white/orange on the other cable for line 2....along with a string.

The business owner said if it needed to be bonded that century link (the LEC) would have to do the install, but ha ha ha. I also saw the cable company working only 30' away from the demarc. Kind of irritates me because I just upgraded 5 of their other locations' DVRs to Dahua, right after that they went from 16 Mbps to ~50 Mbps (don't ask me why - required a cable modem upgrade, & the cable tech wouldn't forward the ports), and then they went with DSL here at their new location because cable wasn't available.

is there a quick easy way to explain how it works?

Is it like teaming network cards? in my server I have a dual-port teaming network card along with the onboard ethernet port, they're all assigned their own IP and they all just seem to work. I set it up >1.5 years ago, I don't remember all the specifics but it went together fairly easily.

I guess the next thing I'll try is connecting the 2nd DSL modem to line 2 (the 2nd & only pair), and send one port from each modem to the switch, and try a speed test before & after.

I'll try to post results.

If anyone has some insight to share I'd love to hear it.