Rene

FAT32 vs NTFS for Geovision Data drive

Should I use FAT32 or NTFS on a RAID-0 drive used for Geovision data only?. I am looking for reliability and performance. The OS (XP Pro) and Geovision will be running from a RAID-1 drive formatted with NTFS.

I am bringing up the subject as I saw a recommendation of using FAT32 for Geovision.

What are you using?

Rene

I'n not certain on the FAT32 vs. NTFS thing but I have only ever used NTFS.

How many total drives are you planning to use?

I will be using 2 - 300 GB Sata Hard drives to as follows:

Creating a logical raid-1 drive of about 12 GB for the operating system and Geovision programs, and then the remainder of the two drives (about 288 GB each), either used as 2 separate drives for GV data or as one logical raid-0 drive of about 576 GB, again for GV data.

I myself would have never thought of using FAT32, but since I read it on a Geovision reseller "FAQ's and Tips" and they said it was recommended by Geovision, but who knows for what version.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Rene

it depends on if data loss is important to you. on a raid 0 if one of the drive crashes you lose all of your data. it seems like that might not be a big deal to you since you are putting the OS on a 1 and video on a 0. i would either make the data (video) drive a raid 1 as well or leave them as seperate drives.

im not sure with fat/ntfs in regards to geo; all of our dvrs are ntfs and its not been a problem. my home dvr which im building is a geo and ntfs seems to be fine on it. with a powerful machine you shouldnt notice any performance issues with ntfs, so i would stick with it so you can use the security/permissions stuff later on if ever need/want to.

Skip the raid 1 logical drives. File systems are pretty robust now and drive failure is more likely to kill the drives then file system failure.

Go with 2 x 300 GB Sata and put them in raid 0 or 1 ( 1 would be my peferance) and move the OS to a 20 gb sata drive.