Rosko

Hikvision IP Keyboard Query

Hi everyone - - I've been in this game longer than I can remember and I'm now getting in to IP Kit in a big way but I'm still lacking a bit of knowledge as far as it's concerned.

I'm planning using a Hikvision IP PTZ linked to a Hikvision NVR linked in turn to my Router. The idea being that we can dem to prospects on our IPads, mobiles etc This would be fine and I don't really need a keyboard in the Office but it could have it's uses occasionally. My gripe is that the standard Hikvision Keyboard is up around £700, way too much for my budget for all the use it's going to get. Because it's an IP camera I don't think I can get away with the usual cheap analog controller. Is there any other options out there - - a v basic IP keyboard doing Pelco protocol ?

Thanks

Rosko

Hi everyone - - I've been in this game longer than I can remember and I'm now getting in to IP Kit in a big way but I'm still lacking a bit of knowledge as far as it's concerned.

I'm planning using a Hikvision IP PTZ linked to a Hikvision NVR linked in turn to my Router. The idea being that we can dem to prospects on our IPads, mobiles etc This would be fine and I don't really need a keyboard in the Office but it could have it's uses occasionally. My gripe is that the standard Hikvision Keyboard is up around £700, way too much for my budget for all the use it's going to get. Because it's an IP camera I don't think I can get away with the usual cheap analog controller. Is there any other options out there - - a v basic IP keyboard doing Pelco protocol ?

Thanks

Rosko

Many IP cameras still have the RS485 serial control port. Check if your planned device has it and find a controoler that can accomodate the same control protocol as the camera. If in the same location with the camera, then controller can be used, but if over IP... no use.

I think that can be done IF the NVR has RS485 port. You can connect the controller to the NVR, so the controller sends the camera commands to the NVR, and the NVR will send the commands to the IP cameras over the network.

It is supposed to work with Hikvision's DS1003KI controller. No clue if it would work with other controllers.

I think that can be done IF the NVR has RS485 port. You can connect the controller to the NVR, so the controller sends the camera commands to the NVR, and the NVR will send the commands to the IP cameras over the network.

It is supposed to work with Hikvision's DS1003KI controller. No clue if it would work with other controllers.

No way a serial keyboard can send commands through standard Pelco protocol to a DVR/NVR. All keyboards that can connect the DVR/NVR are from same manufacturer as the DVR/NVR and use specific protocol to connect to it.

No way a serial keyboard can send commands through standard Pelco protocol to a DVR/NVR. All keyboards that can connect the DVR/NVR are from same manufacturer as the DVR/NVR and use specific protocol to connect to it.

Mmmmh guess it will be using HIKVISION protocol then, so a generic controller probably would not cut it.

Mmmmh guess it will be using HIKVISION protocol then, so a generic controller probably would not cut it.

Exactly. Regular controllers can connect to "clients" that consis only of "listening"devices, like cameras. The DVR/NVR is something like a "server" that "sends" the commands. The RS485 port of DVR/NVR is an output-only port. Keyboards (specific models) can be connected to the DVR/NVR on RS232 port (where available) or network port - and only in manufacturer's private protocol.