Sign in to follow this  
CMServices

Stand alone VS PC Based

Where and When to use a Stand alone vs PC based?

I ask this because i use to work for a company that only installed stand alone systems (mostly banks) sanyo DSR 3016H600 in most cases and the company I work with now only likes to install pc based systems

here's a link to the DVR we use now http://www.capturecctv.com/product.php?prod_id=101

Any input would be great

From my experience, there are benefits to using both PC based and stand alone units. When you are looking for recording higher frame rates (say 240 and above) typically PC based is the route to go. However, just like any PC, you risk virus', HD failures, and employees hacking online (if unit is connected to your company network) vs. stand alone unit-- which isn't a Windows operating system. It is usally alot more user friendly, more reliable, but if you are looking to record real time--it isn't going to be the solution.

The Queen needs to brush up alittle!!! There are stand alones that record realtime now and PC based is more user friendly because its windows XP and alot more people can use a PC then can program a VCR. SShe is right on the other stuff though stand alones are usually more reliable, secure and cheaper then PC based. PC based ususlly have the best internet viewing and playback, as well as alot more features.

I use alot of standalones on smaller jobs where somebody just wants a simple continous or motion activated recording schedule. Price is the biggest decision maker for me on PC vs Standalone. I can track down a good standalone solution depending on functions and features for about 1/3 the price of a PC system.

Thanks JMAN! You may want to consider using your spell check-- besides the point. You are correct. There are 16 ch Stand alone units that record 480fps, however, they have only just recently been introduced and personally I've seen nothing but problems with them, therefore I refuse to sell them. I have had exceptional luck with some of the 4 ch stand alone units 120/120 fps-real time. The unit I have been selling alot of is the new Arm Electronics JDVR. With powerful JPEG2000 compression, cdrw, ethernet ready, with ptz control these units have all the bells and whistles and are very cost efficient.

Who has time to check spelling I am posting and learning on like 10 threads while playing with my kids doing laundry and cooking dinner.

Here we go again ...

Stand Alone is when you want plug, play, and forget. There are many stand alones, and the more you pay for one, normally the more featurers you will get in it, as well as Stability comes with a price.

PC based for when you want upgradable, higher quality evidence sharing, and faster record speeds. But have to also deal with any maintenance and setup included with them.

PC based for when you want upgradable, higher quality evidence sharing, and faster record speeds. But have to also deal with any maintenance and setup included with them.

Maintenance is a big thing. The downside to a PC Based systems is having to support the PC itself. Unless you get a pre-configured PC Based solution, if something goes wrong with the PC, it can be a pain to diagnose, repair, or replace!

Yep, spare parts are a must .. especially down here, where you could wait weeks sometimes for certain parts to come in ..

Yes... "Build-your-own PC Based" compatibility issues (buying cards and software only and expecting to be able to throw them in to / on any machine) could be a huge problem. I would strongly encourage non-professionals to seek a pre-configured system or a very specific recommendation as to the other "pieces" necessary to better guarantee success (or better yet find a professional security dealer / installer to help you).

Not true CollinR. There are a few S/A DVR's I no of that have PC like features. Obviously not all the features and functions, but at least the important ones.

I have seen s/a's that you have mouse control on.

Can a standalone be hooked up to backup to a network drive as I believe most PC based ones can?

I have seen s/a's that you have mouse control on.

Can a standalone be hooked up to backup to a network drive as I believe most PC based ones can?

most of the standalones I have come accross only transfer video thru the client software, so if your on your laptop at home using the client software, you would be able to transfer video from the DVR to your laptop. There may be standalones out there that transfer differently but somebody else will have to help you out there.

Yeah but it's like why not FTP? I mean a linksys router has enough nuts leftover for it but these network standalones don't??? Cheese...

The difference between "stand alone" and "PC" based is quickly coming down to operating system and available applications. Is a P4 ATX system running avermedia's linux on chip a "PC" or a "stand alone"?

If its a PC then its a PC, stand alone is RTOS embedded stand alone DVR with push buttons - no PC type interaction.

Yes, Linux is PC also, RTOS linux is different.

Okay that makes sence but my feelings still haven't changed much. What about Windows CE? I seen no reason why there couldn't be a RTOS with geovision like features and without all the other uneeded junk and then all the stuff that makes Windows XP cool but aren't needed in a DVR gone. Sure the OS and hardware would be linked but that doesn't totally mean you couldn't upgrade either. I just hate paying for a license for an OS that isn't used just because most consumers alreadt posses it. Maybe it's just all the "stand alone"s I have seen just really sucked.