charlie135

Single IP Camera with NVR

I looked around but could not find a topic quite like this:

I want to install one camera and an NVR to monitor our pool. The camera needs to be a weatherproof Day/Night IR 1080p IP Bullet with PoE. I then want to connect this directly to a 1TB NVR which injects PoE. I will then wire this to our Verizon FiOS modem/wifi combo.

I would like the system to be plug and play, and have free web and iPhone viewing. I assume I will have to configure my router for the web-based stuff, but a simple NVR setup is a must. I know there are a lot of ready made 4 camera systems, but I do not really want to have those extra cameras.

Budget = $750-800 (approx) for the NVR and camera.

Thanks

There are a lot of solutions you could use for a one camera system, but still not too clear on your needs.

What is the purpose of the camera for your pool? Do you require motion detection and alerts? How big is the pool? Do you need to be able to recognize a face in the entire area? You said something about a 1TB hard drive. Do you intend to record 24/7? Do you need the camera to be discreet? Why are you opposed to having more than one camera?

It really depends on your needs. You could do anything from getting a single camera without a NVR/DVR and set your laptop to record, to having a dedicated NVR with a PTZ camera.

The pool is 20 x 40, but the recording area is probably 40 x 70. It does not need to be hidden, but I also do not want a big pelco housing. The camera is basically an "insurance policy" in case anyone were to sneak in and become injured in the pool, I want to be able to have a record, and also be able to log in and check the area when I am away. It will record 24/7 and does not need to record on motion, but the feature would be nice down the road. Right now, I really do not want to have cameras all over the place, but perhaps down the road I might add some more (so expandability would be nice).

The camera will be mounted under a third story roofline. I want to monitor directly adjacent to the pool, and the camera can be mounted in parallel line with the pool, or off to the side. Here is the pool

265121_1.jpg

a 40ftx70ft space is going to be really difficult to cover with a single camera. Although you would be able to capture the entire area with a single camera, your odds of getting a face with a lens that wide would be pretty small. If you just want to be able to monitor the activity of the area, then one camera might do the job. I could not view your attachment, however, it would still depend on the mounting point in relationship to the pool.

Hikvision and Dahua are popular IP brands on this forum. If you do not need good motion detection a possible solution would be as follows.

http://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-HFW4300S-Eco-Savvy-Weatherproof-Security/dp/B00H2VSTG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422821180&sr=8-1&keywords=dahua

http://www.amazon.com/IntelliSecu-Camera-Recorder-Surveillance-E-SATA/dp/B00HN632F4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1422821220&sr=8-7&keywords=mini+nvr

http://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-External-eSATA-Portable-Drive/dp/B003MRI398/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1422821285&sr=8-9&keywords=esata+hard+drive

The above solution may or may not do the job again depending on mount location. It has a pretty wide lens (3.6mm), but, keep in mind, a wider lens will give you a greater field of view, but, you sacrifice detail.

Thanks. Is that NVR going to be easy to set up with a Dahua unit, or will the setup be easier if I stay within the same brand? I setup a Q-See NVR for a friend once and it was a royal P.I.T.A.

The camera in your photo is a hikvision 2632 that has varifocal and sd card slot...you can record directly to the card..set up motion and a 32gig card easily last a week or more.

The camera in your photo is a hikvision 2632 that has varifocal and sd card slot...you can record directly to the card..set up motion and a 32gig card easily last a week or more.

I want to have 24/7 recording.

There is no need for that for your purpose..thats the beauty of motion detection...

If you insist...buy a small hikvision NVR like this...DS-7104NI

Hi. It has a recorder attached just put SD card in

It's is 720p but will cover your area needs.

That will not cover the needs. As I said, it must be 1080p and must have a 1 TB storage.

There is no need for that for your purpose..thats the beauty of motion detection...

If you insist...buy a small hikvision NVR like this...DS-7104NI

I do not want any chance that the video is not recorded. I need 24/7, no exceptions.

difficulty of setup is subjective.

again, Tom and Boogieman have also made good recommendations.

It really depends on how much functionality you need, detail, etc.

If object of the exercise is just to protect your liability of the pool from neighborhood kids jumping in and drowning themselves, any will do the job, but then again so would a drop cam, or a 700tvl system.

If you are wanting to detect faces, I think you would need more than one camera with a tighter viewing angle. Just my opinion though, I am strictly an ameture, Boogie and Tom prolly know better than me.

First step: Buy Swann system at Costco for 900 dollar (credits to cctvmann)

Second Step: Sell the 3 unused cameras at ebay for 100 dollar each

Or even better, you use 2 cameras to watch the pool so you aren't missing the blind spots.

Third Step: Read the manual carefully to configure all your needs.

Result: 2TB NVR + 1 1080P camera for 600 (or 700) dollar

I agree with the others that if you only want one camera, it may be a good choice to save the money on the nvr but if you must have a single camera and an nvr and you want to keep it under $750, you can go with a Hikvision DS-7604NI-SE/P which has 4 poe ports and 1TB HDD for under $350 and a DS-2cd2632f-I for under $300. This is a 3MP camera and is varifocal which will give you a little more flexability on where to mount it.