CraigVM62

PC Based DVR and UPS/Line Conditioner

Well im talking about Geo on a Fat32 drive with the OS (and yes Windows XP), and the video on NTFS drive ..

I remember you mentioning that Geo recommended it to be placed on a FAT32 file system, but FAT32 sucks compared to NTFS file system. Security reasons, reliability, efficiency and wasted hard drive space due to larger drive cluster sizes etc.

What is their reason for that recommendation? Did they give one?

no, but you should notice that Windows XP runs much faster and smoother on Fat 32.

Sorry, not true either.

With NTFS you can go down to 4096K cluster size which means that information will be more densely stored increasing read and write speed of data. Plus you can have more copies of your Master File Allocation table then FAT32. That is another NTFS advantage. You also have file permission settings with NTFS.

There are more advantages, but I can’t remember all of them off the top of my head.

If I am inaccurate about any of this someone please correct me because I want to be accurate in what I am saying.

from all my tests, Fat 32 is much faster, and quieter.

Now it is quieter!

Rory, go out on the NET and read about the differences. If I am wrong come back and tell me about it.

Yes, for the most part it is all clear as mud, but that is because much of the detailed discussion is just over my head.

It seems like it would be a simple thing. As mentioned, the UPS sees a power outage and continues to provide AC via Battery as it send commands to PC to shut down. There should be plenty battery left for the UPS to monitor when power is restored and then send requist to PC to boot back up. Now I think I understand that the USB and Serial ports are not listening when PC is shut down, and those are how communication takes place with most UPS units. It has been a while since I have played around with BIOS settings. Isn't there a option where the modem can boot up the PC ?

We have a good budget to work with so a $300 to $500 unit is no problem.

Yes, for the most part it is all clear as mud, but that is because much of the detailed discussion is just over my head.

It seems like it would be a simple thing. As mentioned, the UPS sees a power outage and continues to provide AC via Battery as it send commands to PC to shut down. There should be plenty battery left for the UPS to monitor when power is restored and then send requist to PC to boot back up. Now I think I understand that the USB and Serial ports are not listening when PC is shut down, and those are how communication takes place with most UPS units. It has been a while since I have played around with BIOS settings. Isn't there a option where the modem can boot up the PC ?

We have a good budget to work with so a $300 to $500 unit is no problem.

Yes you can have wake from [depends on mobo] and if the PC is in hybernation it will wake. I don't think those will actually boot a PC that is shutdown.

All the UPS needs to do is flick the power off to the PC's outlet when normal AC is restored. This will make power on restore work like it should. Some of Abit's moberboards have features under "intregrate periferials" that allow you to do some funky things to boot but I think it would be too much trouble to get it working.