Sign in to follow this  
mattaggie

Prices of cameras

I use Geovision cameras and software. A few years ago I was new to the world of security cameras and was told to get a Geovision DVR card, so that married me to Geovision. Geovision seems to make very nice stuff, Ive had no issues with their equipment. But they also seem a bit costly compared to say Hikvision, which I notice is what a lot of people use here.

So for example a 3MP outdoor bullet camera. Hikvision DS-2CD2032 is $85 on Amazon. Geovision UBL3401 is $385. What makes the Geovision $300 better? I'm sure Geovision provides better support, so that's something. The Geovision cameras often seem to offer more bells and whistles on their cameras like SD card slot, audio/video connections, etc. Are the sensors better? Lens better? Better picture? All I want is an IP camera to connect to a NVR. That $300 difference is $3000 if I want 10 outdoor cameras.

So any thoughts on "premium" brands vs not so premium? Is it worth it? I don't really have any complaints about Geovision, just seems like their cameras are expensive. I am using them in a retail Hardware/home improvement type store.

I use Geovision cameras and software. A few years ago I was new to the world of security cameras and was told to get a Geovision DVR card, so that married me to Geovision. Geovision seems to make very nice stuff, Ive had no issues with their equipment. But they also seem a bit costly compared to say Hikvision, which I notice is what a lot of people use here.

So for example a 3MP outdoor bullet camera. Hikvision DS-2CD2032 is $85 on Amazon. Geovision UBL3401 is $385. What makes the Geovision $300 better? I'm sure Geovision provides better support, so that's something. The Geovision cameras often seem to offer more bells and whistles on their cameras like SD card slot, audio/video connections, etc. Are the sensors better? Lens better? Better picture? All I want is an IP camera to connect to a NVR. That $300 difference is $3000 if I want 10 outdoor cameras.

So any thoughts on "premium" brands vs not so premium? Is it worth it? I don't really have any complaints about Geovision, just seems like their cameras are expensive. I am using them in a retail Hardware/home improvement type store.

The hikvision is 85 only if you buy from china with no warranty..you will have issues with firmware updates (if you need them)..that said if you dont care about firmware and dont need a warranty then its a good deal.

Otherwise if you buy from a hikvision from an authorized seller, its about 150..still a way better deal than the geovision camera...note that the 3401 has an sd card slot, the 2032 does not..

There are lots of discussions about hikvision, start reading..