Sign in to follow this  
Lakeview

lens size

I have a 6mm nightowl (no ir cut filter) aimed at my lake from my deck. Really bad picture. Tried a 3.8mm swann with a filter but didn't like the wide angle. Convinced, by you guys, that I need to upgrade to an IP but 6mm or less? Can I get a 4mm and be able to zoom in? or do I need a 6mm. Lake is about 120 feet away and 1000's of feet after. Not much into security but I want to be my lake and boathouse from my pc.

I have a 6mm nightowl (no ir cut filter) aimed at my lake from my deck. Really bad picture. Tried a 3.8mm swann with a filter but didn't like the wide angle. Convinced, by you guys, that I need to upgrade to an IP but 6mm or less? Can I get a 4mm and be able to zoom in? or do I need a 6mm. Lake is about 120 feet away and 1000's of feet after. Not much into security but I want to be my lake and boathouse from my pc.

buy a dahua with a motorized varifocal lens....Dahua IPC-HFW2300R-Z 3MP, they are about 200...

note that the viewing angle is not only dependent on the focal length, there are other factors...varifocal will let you get the best adjustment.