adforester

Jewelry store system

We run a small jewelry store, showroom is 20x15 or so. We need a system that is 6 cameras i would think to get all spaces, backroom, outside covered. We have less than 2000 to spend and am wondering what one would recommend for a standalone system? is this enough to spend?. It would need to be clear enough to use for evidence, so thinking it should be able to see a ring on a table very clearly for playback/record.

ok good thing to think about, 30 should be good. do you think the costco systems are any good/ would like to look back at recording perhaps on a weekly basis to see where i put something etc.

U$2,000 would be enough for 8 camera system: It could be made of Full HD IP cameras & NVR. As cable length seems not be an issue for your shop, HD-SDI or HD-TVI or HD-CVI or HD-AHD with its dedicated DVR could be OK, if you should need spot monitoring (instant display) in real time.

ok good thing to think about, 30 should be good. do you think the costco systems are any good/ would like to look back at recording perhaps on a weekly basis to see where i put something etc.

Buy a swann IP system from costco..they are rebranded hikvision..they will suit your needs just fine.

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146087.html

Take the 700 you save and buy yourself something nice.

I don't know anything about swan but my family ran a pawn shop for 37 years. They never had an armed robbery possibly because they had a gate which customers had to be let though by remote control, but other pawn shops did get robbed. I remember one summer 1990's a criminal gang had been robbing pawn shops rushing the store with AK-47 Rifles in the area they would rough up the employees until they produced the backup VCR tape after they removed the primary recorder tape. After that experience I always setup a 3rd recording system in the store. My suggestion would be not to go cheap with a swan system while they do work well I would suggest spending little more money and getting some cameras that have SDmicro cards slots built in you can insert cards in each camera will save it's own video larger cards can be bought cheap 128gb last a few months before it rolls over. This would be my 2nd backup system I would have a primary onsite DVR that backs up to an off-sight server then the camera cards would be the 3rd backup.

Good varifocal lens camera with the sdcard start around $300 each your system would be around 2-3k when done if you want to do it correctly. Jewelry store like pawn shops are a magnet for theft. Our shop got broken into about 40 times once a truck backed into the wall of the building for the first 3 years we were open our alarm went off every weekend in the summer. We even caught the store owner next to our store climbing though the attic at night from his store he got tangled in the razor wire I put up there. The worst theft we ever had was my cousin worked there after my aunt twisted my mom's arm about giving him a job he got us for about 60k. The camera system helped convict him and other employees that stole from us. When our alarm went off the police always knew there was going to be action and they showed up in about 5 minutes.