Sign in to follow this  
Cat3208

Upgrading Older System in Warehouse

Hello

I am new to the forum and was looking for some input from members on upgrading an older security I have had since 2004. We have a 20,000 square foot warehouse that is currently being monitored with an older Bosch system with 4 indoor and 4 outdoor cameras that are hardwired with cat 5 cable. The picture quality is poor and the recording/viewing hardware is archaic. I would like to upgrade this system and stay under $2,000 for equipment. I would also like to view the system from an Android smartphone. I understand from reading posts on this form that Swann systems are rebranded Hikvision cameras which have a good reputation. I am currently looking at the following system advertised on Costco website:

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100144944.html

Do you think this is a good system for my application? If not can you make any recommendations for other brands/systems? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have limited experience with CCTV

Thanks

Pat

Hello

I am new to the forum and was looking for some input from members on upgrading an older security I have had since 2004. We have a 20,000 square foot warehouse that is currently being monitored with an older Bosch system with 4 indoor and 4 outdoor cameras that are hardwired with cat 5 cable. The picture quality is poor and the recording/viewing hardware is archaic. I would like to upgrade this system and stay under $2,000 for equipment. I would also like to view the system from an Android smartphone. I understand from reading posts on this form that Swann systems are rebranded Hikvision cameras which have a good reputation. I am currently looking at the following system advertised on Costco website:

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100144944.html

Do you think this is a good system for my application? If not can you make any recommendations for other brands/systems? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have limited experience with CCTV

Thanks

Pat

That will be just fine for your needs.

Thanks for the answer Boogieman. Any idea on how maximum cable run length for this system? My furthest camera is about 300 feet away.

Max is 300 feet for Ethernet the costco system cameras don't have varifocal lens so not sure if you need that depends on your distance you need. Do you need to see it at night?

Thanks for the answer Boogieman. Any idea on how maximum cable run length for this system? My furthest camera is about 300 feet away.

The technical maximum for ethernet is 100m so its 328 feet...With good quality cable you can go longer, but its out of spec...

Make sure to use quality solid not stranded cable and also it should NOT be Copper clad aluminium (CCA)..

Buy from monoprice or other trusted sources..dont get your cable on ebay.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered from Costco and should have it by Wednesday.

Kell490. The main access point to our warehouse is illuminated by a dual 400 watt HID light fixture and other areas have a single 250 watt HID lignt. Is this sufficient for the cameras to work at night if I keep them reasonably close to the lights? What kind of night vision performance can I expect without the varifocal lens?

Boogieman: thanks for the tip on the cables. I checked out their website. Is it worth the extra $ for the shielded vs the standard cable?

Pat

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered from Costco and should have it by Wednesday.

Kell490. The main access point to our warehouse is illuminated by a dual 400 watt HID light fixture and other areas have a single 250 watt HID lignt. Is this sufficient for the cameras to work at night if I keep them reasonably close to the lights? What kind of night vision performance can I expect without the varifocal lens?

Boogieman: thanks for the tip on the cables. I checked out their website. Is it worth the extra $ for the shielded vs the standard cable?

Pat

You dont need shielded cable unless you run them right next to power lines or some other interference..

Also varifocal has zero effect on night vision..think of it as a manual zoom - done at the time of install...you will need to spend time focusing the lens...it can be helpful if the area you want to cover is very far from the camera..try the costco system..if you dont like it, its an easy return...If you are going to run close to the maximum length you may want to consider their cat6 which is 23awg that is thicker than their cat5e..but both should work fine...