Ellusionz

Need help figuring camera systems out...

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive system to watch my property (and maybe deter package theft). UPS left one today and the delivery guy thinks the neighbor across the street took the package he left. We currently have an alarm system but that of course doesn't do anything to keep people from doing anything outside the house. I'd like to be able to see whats happening to be able to file reports with the police if something like this happens again. I was thinking about four or so cameras should cover most important areas incase they come onto my property again. But I noticed theres soo many cameras and options I'm completely confused on what to do. I have a handyman friend who has done wiring at work before but I don't think he'd know the best equipment to get, just how to install it.

Outdoor cameras only, I think if it could see at night it would be nice since it gets really dark around here except when my security lighting doesn't turn off. I was considering putting one of the cameras in the back screen room and it might be fun to watch my pets while I'm away on my phone but that isn't totally important. Other than that I don't know what I should be looking for. Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

And I dunno if doing a seperate system is better or should I just add cameras with my security company (Livewatch w/ Simon XT) but it seems more expensive that way in the long run?

Just get a couple of Hikvision cameras and Blue Iris software and your problems will be solved. Cameras(2) about $200.00 software about $60.00 and a little time learning how to set up. TJ

Silly question but do I install the software on my home pc? and how does the cameras record to it?

Dont use your security company for cams..they will be terrible..

While blue iris is great, you most likely wont be able to run it on your home pc...you will need a dedicated pc if you are going to run a bunch of hd cameras and anytime you use a pc for NVR it should be dedicated to the task and not be used as a home pc..if you want basic recording you are better off with a dedicated NVR...if you want to tinker and want lots of options you can look at blue iris..

If you want a plug and play system look at this

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153164.html

Its a rebranded dahua...you get costco's unlimited return policy.

If not IP cameras is a must, you may also consider "stand alone DVR and decent 4 cameras" . That can be done less than U$ 250 for your application, including HDD.

If not IP cameras is a must, you may also consider "stand alone DVR and decent 4 cameras" . That can be done less than U$ 250 for your application, including HDD.

Ignore any comments like the above...sunny, its 2015..there is reason for to promote analog technology...