neospc

DVR remote viewing stops. Not a dynamic ip issue.

I have what I think might be an ISP issue but I am not sure. I have a client with a couple of houses divided into apartments. My client has a cable modem in two houses just for remote viewing of a CCTV system. I don't know if the people living in the apartments have their own cable modems.

Here is the problem. Three different people tried to setting up a DVR for remote viewing, myself being the third. Every time the first house is configured with no problem. The next day the second house is setup with no problem but by the end of the day the first house goes down. Just remote viewing. The DVR is recording. By the end of the next day the second DVR goes down. This happens with different brand DVR's and with or without a router in the loop. I tried with DVR's that use a Peer 2 Peer server setup and get the same issue.

I have tried the P2P as well as DDNS because this is a dynamic IP. Any ideas would be helpful at this point.

Thank You.

Try setting up the DDNS hostname in the cable router rather than just in the DVR. Ifr hat is what is happening.

Why do y0u mention the routers of the remote sites that will receive the CCTV? They do NOT requie any DDNS settings only the one at the DVRs Network will require a DDNS setting up.

When you say the first house goes down, what set up was done? When you set up a remote client software you substitute the network's public IP with your DDNS hostname in the address field that you set up in the DVR's network services menu, you do NOT need to setup the DDNS in the remote site's router and that is what it sounds like you've done because if the DDNS sever id being updated correctly, referencing the hostname instead of the public IP will work, but if the DDNS is being updated at another location then of course it's not going to locate the DVR

For Clarity the site that has the DVR we'll call the local site and the sites from which you are viewing we'll call the remote sites.

Only the Local site requires DDNS setting up to update the DDNS server. The only r5eference to the DDNS anywhere else id that you substitute the local site's public IP with the hotsname in the settings of the client software.

What you are describing it sounds like someone that has no idea has set up an update client for that DDNS account on the remote sites which would be ridiculous.

I setup DDNS locally on the old DVR's that also had this same issue at the local site where the DVR is located. I have setup DDNS several times in other locations with no problems. I changed to new DVR's because I new the old ones where very old and they had other issues. The new DVR's do not have an option for DDNS. You can only set them up by IP or using the Peer 2 Peer setup, This allows the DVR to connect to the manufacturers server without dealing with port forwarding, DDNS and stays connected if the IP changes. Even with the Peer 2 Peer system setup the DVR's loose the remote connection in the same way they did when setup by DDNS with the old DVR's.

Hi

How many routers in this setup and are they wi-fi enabled? are all the DVRS connected on the same network? are you using a automatic dyn updater tool? you say the DVR's go down, is the local network also affected? can you log into the DVR's locally, just a thought but it could be a simple IP conflict, when someone gets home and there phone connects to the router, it could cause the network to drop, I had a similar problem and found that whenever my customer got home the DVR would drop, have you set the router up to exclude the DVR's IP address? If its not a IP conflict then I would speak to the ISP and see if they can get any info from there side just make sure your local network is running correctly first, cause that will be the first thing they will ask.

hope this helps

Regards