Sign in to follow this  
Kilowatt

How to know the status of CCTV surge protectors?

Hi thanks for your time,

For a new installation of CCTV cameras, two of the four cameras will be used at the front of a garage separate from the house, and 2 X 175 feet cables will be used. 60 feet will run outside. According to what i have read, including here, surge suppression is mandatory for signal and power. Those SPD are ordered, should receive within a week or so. At the DVR end, this is what will be used:

http://www.ditekcorp.com/product-details.asp?ProdKey=105

At the camera side, this will be used for each.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FM-CCTV-System-Video-Power-Lighting-2-in-1-Surge-Protector-LRS02-2-12V-NEW-CA-3-/231591261061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item35ebea3385#ht_10089wt_1366

My question are:

1- How to know with these devices if i am protected? I don't speak about quality of the device but about the status. On surge supressors used for 120V/220Vac power, there's a "protected" led that will go out if a surge occurs with such a magnitude that the diverted current will blow an internal fuse to cut power to the protected outlets. What about those for signals like 1Vpp 75ohm for CCTV...how it works ? I don't see myself replacing my surge supressors at every interval of time because the MOVs of TVS diodes "might" be innoperative (or not?) from the cumulative surges.

2- Does both the signal ground and center conductor contacts are protected by shunting to earth ground wire when a surge occurs? Can't find info about the protection structure of that either.

Thanks in advance for your replies.