racer88

Help me troubleshoot home security cam system.

Hi all. First time poster.

I had a home security camera system installed several years ago. The company that installed it is no longer in existence.

Only two cameras (out of eight) are working, by looking at the monitor.

276735_1.jpg

The two that are still working (both indoors - garage and office), look like this:

276735_2.jpg

The other 6 cameras (outdoor) are of the variety shown in the images here. I cannot find any identifying markings on them. I took the dome off one and took these photos. I captured several angles to hopefully help in identifying it. I could not figure out how to remove the camera or mounting from the ceiling.

276735_3.jpg

276735_4.jpg

276735_5.jpg

276735_6.jpg

Here is the DVR and the connection box:

276735_7.jpg

276735_8.jpg

276735_9.jpg

Can anyone here help identify the problem? Is it possible that six cameras all have failed? If so, can you identify the camera and tell me how to remove them, so they can be replaced? Or, is it something else?

Thanks much!!

First of all if you do not know what you are doing get a professional in to do it for you. That box has AC mains voltage going in to it. It will kill you if you stuff up.

If you do know what you are doing get a multi meter and check you have power at each of the cameras. The fact you have two still up suggests the transformer is working. If your individual outputs are fused check each of the fuses. I can see that you have 2 LEDs lit in your photo of your power supply. I wouldn't mind betting that fuses are the issue. Isolate the power from the power supply before you check them.

First of all if you do not know what you are doing get a professional in to do it for you. That box has AC mains voltage going in to it. It will kill you if you stuff up.

If you do know what you are doing get a multi meter and check you have power at each of the cameras. The fact you have two still up suggests the transformer is working. If your individual outputs are fused check each of the fuses. I can see that you have 2 LEDs lit in your photo of your power supply. I wouldn't mind betting that fuses are the issue. Isolate the power from the power supply before you check them.

If I add my 2 cents, you check that input interfaces from camera to DVR is clean and not to be loose. Swap camera input ports of the DVR. (You have two cameras still alive)

The cameras seem to be all analog cameras: Plug the video output of camera into your TV (CVBS input or VCR input) whether you can see the video. If not, cameras are gone bad. Make sure the DC power should supplied to Camera whether through DC converter box or you can directly supply DC to a certain camera.

I can see that you have 2 LEDs lit in your photo of your power supply. I wouldn't mind betting that fuses are the issue. Isolate the power from the power supply before you check them.

All of the LEDs are lit up. The phone camera "flash" masks the appearance of the LEDs in the photo.

Thanks. I will consider getting a pro to the house. I'm fairly handy, and if it's just a matter of swapping out cameras, I thought I might be able to do it.

If I add my 2 cents, you check that input interfaces from camera to DVR is clean and not to be loose. Swap camera input ports of the DVR. (You have two cameras still alive)

The cameras seem to be all analog cameras: Plug the video output of camera into your TV (CVBS input or VCR input) whether you can see the video. If not, cameras are gone bad. Make sure the DC power should supplied to Camera whether through DC converter box or you can directly supply DC to a certain camera.

I noticed that video output plug on the camera (yellow). I'll need a LONG cable to get it to a TV / monitor. I'll have to come up with a way to check it.

Thanks for your help!

I'm back.

I ran a cable from the video output on one of the cameras directly to a monitor. No signal. I suppose that means the camera is dead.

I wish someone could help identify the camera AND how to get it unmounted from the enclosure on the ceiling. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I cannot figure out how to remove it... Unless it has to be done from INSIDE the attic??? In that case, I'll probably "call a guy."

It appears that we just need to replace the defective cameras.