marty1966

Trying to search for answer but confused.

Hi, I am trying to search the forum for an answer but the jargon is confusing the shiz out of me

I am looking for an outdoor camera to monitor a door and loading dock, maybe 15 feet of focal distance. Night is needed. The confusion is I would like it to be hard wired, BNC type connections to 3 external monitors and wireless (or wired) ethernet.

Any suggestions? Even just a few keywords to search would be helpful.

Thank you.

BNC

This type of connection will lead you down two paths:

a) Analog = this is crappy video by today's standards. Pretty much like TV was before high-definition came along with those giant-heavy-CRT TV's.

b) High-def-analog = Labeled AHD, SDI, TVI, CVI, etc., these systems do give close to 1080P like a modern high-definition Blu-Ray player (with other factors worked out). But it's a stop-gap technology. I don't recommend it for a new system. I'd look to this if:

* you already have a ton of coax cable installed and you're looking to save installation money for just a few more years

* your cameras will be long distance (like 1000' away, etc.)

Ethernet network cabling

Cameras that use this are called IP Cameras. With these, you can go better than 1080P (which is about 2 megapixel). 3 and 4 megapixel cameras are in a really good price range right now. IP Cameras give several other advantages too, including the foreseeable future on upgrading later.

Lens

For only 15 feet of focal distance, you may be looking at a fairly wide view. Perhaps a 4mm lens or even a 2.8mm lens. Check out this "simulator" for some ideas (I'm not affiliated with them)

http://polarisusa.com/lens-calculator

Camera type

Bullet-Dome-Turret (ball)

Bullet cams are included in a lot of kits, probably because they are slightly faster to screw in.

But if your cam is anywhere close to where people can reach it, then a vandal-resistant dome camera would be called for.

Turret (ball) cams are also popular, I usually get them requested for indoors in professional offices. But they make outdoor-weatherproof types of all three types of cams

Weatherproof

You mentioned outdoors, so IP66 rating is a plus (though some off-cheapo brands might still say IP66...bleh...so sticking with nice brands is a plus here)

Recording the action

Many IP cameras will have a spot for an SD memory card and record right on the camera. Though not exactly secure, it is an option.

A more robust setup is to have the camera hard-wired to a DVR (analog) or NVR (IP) recorder.

I try to stay with the same brand when dealing with IP Cams...just less options for error along the way. There is a (kind of) "standard" called ONVIF. But it's not 100%.

Many of my business customers like to record motion only...saves on hard drive space, makes it easier to find a specific video clip...but the motion is not perfect and will catch a leaf blowing by or such. But it's still most workable.

Night

If there's no visible light (or low light), then infrared (IR) is the technology that cams use. Most cams have them already. It's way better than it used to be, but you still lose some detail when compared to daytime.

Hope that gives some ideas and keywords to focus on for ya

Some day/night IP cameras have both a RJ45 for Ethernet and a BNC connection for service. You can add a splitter to this BNC connection for multiple monitors. The video quality will be better using the digital connection...