Sign in to follow this  
dnguyen7078

Suggestion needed for a new security system

Hi all,

I like to get some help with the security system for my home. I don't want to spend too much money on a system but would like to expand as I go.

1. Is it better to build your own NVR/DVR vs getting a set box. I'm pretty good with home networking so I have no problem with building a NVR/DVR as I built my own pFsense router. If building a DVR/NVR, what SW is best for the job?

2. I like to use POE as it's easier to setup with one CAT6 wire. what camera can you recommend?

3. If a set top box is a better option then what brand should I get? I saw some with 4 or 8 channels available. For example, if I buy a 4 channels set top box and want to upgrade to 8 channels, can I just buy another POE switch to add more cameras?

Please help me to find the best route for future expansion as I don't like to be too limited.

Thank you for all your advices.

1. Plus and minus of each.

PC offers more flexibility, especially expansion later. But the PC's tend to take more TLC...dealing with the OS updates, etc. For 4-8 channels, a PC setup will typically cost more than a dedicated NVR.

2. POE does make things pretty easy. A single cable to each cam works great for data and power..kinda nice.

If you have a bank of cams at the other end of the house, then run a single cable over to that side of the house, then put in a POE switch there and connect those far-side-of-the-house-cams all to that far-side-of-the-house-POE-switch.

The camera recommendations are going to depend greatly on the spot for the camera and what the goal is. Hikvision gets lots of mentions on here as the Hik's do really well and at a good price point.

3. Set-top NVR

Function-wise, they do all the same good stuff. Less wattage too.

TLC-wise, you set them up, and nearly forget about them, they're pretty good.

Expansion-wise...they'll only go to the # of channels that you got. If you got a 4-channel NVR...then 4-channels is all it will take. For this reason, people getting a dedicated DVR/NVR might buy a little more initially if they plan to add cameras later. If they're getting 3 cams now, they might still get an 8-channel NVR for future expansion.

With new systems, I tend to get the same brand NVR as the cams...makes for fewer compatibility pitfall possibilities.