Sign in to follow this  
kzziboy

Camera Compatibilty

i have one of those cheap $200 chinese security camera h.264 network dvrs from ebay. What type of cameras are compatible with it. The system works fine. I just want better cameras. What can I buy? Are there certain ones that just won't work? When shopping what should I look for in compatibilty? I'd like the highest resolution available and perhaps one that can zoom in a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

i have one of those cheap $200 chinese security camera h.264 network dvrs from ebay. What type of cameras are compatible with it. The system works fine. I just want better cameras. What can I buy? Are there certain ones that just won't work? When shopping what should I look for in compatibilty? I'd like the highest resolution available and perhaps one that can zoom in a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

If you want noticeably better resolution but use your own coax wiring you will need to ditch the dvr and go with an hd over coax system like TVI or CVI technology and get 1080p cameras. You can buy hybrid dvr's that support analog cameras as well as hd over analog.

or better yet, switch over to ip but you will need to run ethernet.

How many cameras and what is your budget?

That's just it. No big budget. There's 4 cameras on an 8 channel capable system. Three out of the 4 cameras really don't have that good of a picture. There's 1 that has a pretty good resolution.

I'm not changing to a new system or ditching the dvr. My question is simply what are the best cameras to look for with this system. There's a whole host of possibilities for a low price on Ebay. No, they aren't the best, but they're pretty cheap. I'm looking for the best I can get with the existing system. I just want to be sure I don't get something that's incompatible.

No Idea what kinds of DVR that you now have, but

HD-TVI DVR may work with HD-TVI cameras or analog cameras (NTSC, PAL).

HD-CVI DVR may work with HD-CVI cameras or analog cameras (NTSC, PAL).

HD-AHD DVR can work with HD-AHD cameras or analog cameras (NTSC,PAL).

These DVRs may support analog cameras by default, or not.

There may be some video degradation if the cable length becomes longer, say 200 ft.

Here's the system I have. A Swann DVR "In a Box" from Walmart.

Check pics. Came with the Swan ADS-180 Camera.

So what types can I hook to this?

IMG_1369.JPG.a639237212c945b0057e6aeaddc913f3.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG.c7a546a05007cc0ddd1ab1745c0a7939.JPG

I'm sorry. For some reason was thinking 8 channels. Yes. How do you tell if they're analog? What types should I avoid so I don't accidentally get one that isn't analog?

Looking for suggestions on a higher resolution one. Can you go HD with an analog camera? I realize it's not an HD DVR, but will it work anyway? Maybe just a better quality?

If not what do I look for in a higher resolution camera? More TV lines? I want something I can zoom in a little bit over a cash register.