TonyL

How to find a good installer???

I'm wanting to find an installer for a CCTV system in my home. Lots to choose from but I don't seem to be able to find any with existing reviews. I was wondering if there are any professional reference sites for this sort of thing? Or, is there some sort of accreditation I should be looking for?

Using one of the security monitoring companies is not an option. I don't like the functionality provided.

I'm looking to upgrade an existing system to HD-SDI cameras (7 cameras - 30 FPS) and DVR (2TB / 240 FPS recording or better). I have RG59 Siamese wiring with CAT5E for the DVR/Router connection already run. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated?

And no, I'm not interested in upgrading to an IP camera system.

Thanx,

Tony

Houston, TX

Just to clarify... not interested in IP cameras... however, willing to rewire for future IP technology (e.g. RG59 to CAT6). This is why I want to find a qualified installer. Talk over the options and see what is best. It is my understanding that HD-SDI can be run over either wire.

I don't want to say "money is no object"... that's ludicrous. But, willing to spend around $2k for the system. A little more or less is not a cause for concern.

Thanx,

Tony

I would be careful about using HD-SDI. It was the first of the analogue HD technologies and was developed for the TV industry to run HD around on the existing studio cable infrastructure (coax). The design parameters only addressed the TV industry needs and as a result you are limited in transmission distance and the gear is pricey. Since then the CCTV industry has developed their own technology that addresses the needs of this industry. You have the choice of AHD , HD-CVI & HD-TVI. They are all basically the same and can be run on cat5/6 if that is what you require

For me, it's about day and night video quality. As I understand it, HD-SDI gets the best video of the analog cameras; better than CVI or TVI.

I don't mind replacing my existing RG59 wiring with CAT6. I just don't want to go with IP cameras... not happy with the technology yet.

I believe I can run CAT6 (PoE) with a HD-SDI camera system. This would require baluns at both ends... increasing the cost of the overall system. However, when the IP camera technology has the features I desire (probably in the next 5 years), I'll be able to upgrade the cameras and DVR without rewiring.

Thanx for your responses and let me know if I'm off-base here.

Tony

For me, it's about day and night video quality. As I understand it, HD-SDI gets the best video of the analog cameras; better than CVI or TVI.

I don't mind replacing my existing RG59 wiring with CAT6. I just don't want to go with IP cameras... not happy with the technology yet.

I believe I can run CAT6 (PoE) with a HD-SDI camera system. This would require baluns at both ends... increasing the cost of the overall system. However, when the IP camera technology has the features I desire (probably in the next 5 years), I'll be able to upgrade the cameras and DVR without rewiring.

Thanx for your responses and let me know if I'm off-base here.

Tony

What exactly are you not happy about?

IP cameras have intelligence built into the camera and I would like a better idea of who is writing the software for these cameras. Have they built adequate security into their software? Do they monitor the software for security holes? How are software upgrades delivered to the cameras and by whom?

Support from hardware vendors is generally atrocious. I can't imagine what its like for their software. Until there is a bit more standardization, I'll stick with the "dumb" cameras.

This is why I'm trying to find a reputable installer. I want someone that is more interested in a satisfied customer than clearing inventory. Hence, the original topic... how do I find a good installer?

I see lots of "companies" claiming to install security camera systems but, they don't seem to have any (or very few) references. Those that do have a number of reference actually are trying to sell you some sort of alarm system to go along with the cameras... I suspect they are somehow compensated for the generation of ongoing monitoring revenue while getting paid handsomely for the installation.

Thanx,

Tony

IP cameras have intelligence built into the camera and I would like a better idea of who is writing the software for these cameras. Have they built adequate security into their software? Do they monitor the software for security holes? How are software upgrades delivered to the cameras and by whom?

Support from hardware vendors is generally atrocious. I can't imagine what its like for their software. Until there is a bit more standardization, I'll stick with the "dumb" cameras.

This is why I'm trying to find a reputable installer. I want someone that is more interested in a satisfied customer than clearing inventory. Hence, the original topic... how do I find a good installer?

I see lots of "companies" claiming to install security camera systems but, they don't seem to have any (or very few) references. Those that do have a number of reference actually are trying to sell you some sort of alarm system to go along with the cameras... I suspect they are somehow compensated for the generation of ongoing monitoring revenue while getting paid handsomely for the installation.

Thanx,

Tony

Sorry but there is no basis to what you are saying. First support is great if you purchase from proper vendors. Second this irrational fear that you have about the firmware would be present in the DVR that you are using. Why dont you have the same concern about the dvr - its not a dumb device?

If you are really paranoid, the cameras and NVR can be segmented on a virtual lan.

Thank you for making my point... this is why I'm looking for a "proper vendor".

Paranoid is correct. Keep in mind, Target was hacked at their POS terminals. I can physically and technically secure the DVR/NVR. I don't know enough about the software inside the camera itself to know if it can be (or even is) technically secured. I know that it cannot be physically secured because it is hanging on an exterior wall of my home. On top of that, software requires updates... who, when and how... I don't know.

When my original system was installed, I was too ignorant about the technology to know any better. After the installation was complete, I wanted to view the cameras on my phone and iPad... which is what I originally requested and thought I paid for. The company literally told me (after completing the install), we don't do that... we just wire it up and hang the cameras where you want them.

I ended up having to bring in some techno-geeks to get the router and port-forwarding set up so I could see the cameras from both inside and outside the house. Since I didn't have a static IP address, I had to buy a service that updated a DNS name with my dynamic IP address.

Since then, I have spent countless hours of reading and researching. All of you have helped me enormously to identify what I really need and about how much it should cost. I find it troublesome when it appears I know more about the technology than some vendors... thanx to the expert advise on this website.

My ideal would be to buy the hardware (cameras, wiring and DVR) from a reputable vendor... I'm leaning toward Hikvision... and find someone to install the hardware and configure the software. I'm too old to be climbing around my attic and the outside of my home to push wiring through holes and hang cameras.

My search continues.

Thanx,

Tony

If you can technically secure the dvr then you can do the same for the camera, there is absolutely no difference. You never have to update the camera firmware if you dont want to as they are not exposed to the internet, only the NVR is. I think you have a basic misconception about how ip cameras and dvr/nvr's work if you think you have the ability to secure one and not the other.

As far a physical security, IP cameras have the upper hand since you do not have to homerun the cameras to the NVR...therefore the nvr can be hidden anywhere on the network. It also makes its really easy to have two NVR's - one as a backup. Ip cameras as also available with SD card slots as a backup.

It seems like you are going to need full support, my suggestion is to have the installer provide all the gear so they cannot blame any issue on your equipment.

For a total upgrade, sure, IP is certainly the best in the market at this time.

And when I'm doing a new system, if the cable-runs aren't really long (1000', etc.), then I'm doing IP.

SDI

If upgrading an existing system and reusing the coax cable...this does save some money for now for those people that have that situation.

Of the high-def-analogs out there (TVI, CVI, AHD, SDI, etc.), I think SDI gives the (slightly) prettiest picture, even if the specifications say they're about the same. On the other hand, the TVI's and such do those reallllly long cable runs. (TVI seems less expensive than SDI too)

Of course if you go with one of them, such as SDI, then you stick with SDI everything until the day you re-upgrade again.

Running SDI over network cable, sure, with some baluns on each end.

Programming/security/etc. for IP cams

The programming between IP-system NVR and non-IP-DVRs are very similar. In many (many) cases, the programming is identical (even across some different brands) and they simply make a couple of settings-changes to adapt to the system they're on.

IP systems don't have less security than non-IP systems (IP systems actually have an extra security layer when compared to non-IP systems).

Installers

Like any contractor, I prefer them to have the licensed, bonded, insured thing going on. And like any contractor, they might say one thing, but only do the work specified in writing on the stipulations/statement of work document (a friend got burned on a building they recently had built).

I'm not aware of a standard in recommendations/referrals. Some companies such as Angie's List or 2FixIt have tried to prop themselves up as such, but these are for-profit companies in themselves, so not a guarantee.

Most of my install work comes from referrals of other companies that have been happy.

So yeah...I'm not aware of standard reference sources other than some footwork to research a company.

You never have to update the camera firmware if you dont want to as they are not exposed to the internet, only the NVR is

I echo Boogieman here.

I don't recall ever exposing a cam outside the LAN for any of my customers. Only the DVR/NVR gets exposure, the cams stay behind the router/firewall.

Please allow me to correct some points posted above.

HD-CVI, HD-TVI, and HD-AHD employ amplitude modulation when sending HD video content from camera. In order to be squeezed into a limited bandwidth of Coax Cable and its length, some may apply Low Pass Filtering to the original video content, slightly killing sharp details. Color components are mostly affected by such a limited bandwidth. It is very true that de-modulating and reconstructing video data back are to degrade the orginal quality, for sure.

By the way, HD-SDI sends the original video data in a digital way, so called SerDes. No compression or No Degradation. Of course losing Video Sync at times. But it could be received and reconstructed as exactly captured at the camera side. HD-SDI is employed by TV Broadcasting Companies. CCTV industry also started to use HD-SDI for HD Class Video Source, say 720P,1080P. By far the Best Quality, no compression whatever. HD-SDI camera is cheaper than IP Cameras because the video compression is done at the HD-SDI-DVR.

As long as your IP address is known, its data security can not be 100% proof, for sure. You can see some pass-words are shared in this forum. Truth is that most of IP cameras and network switches are from China. Even Pentagon is not Safe. You can also find guys in this forum who keep promoting Chinese IP Cameras, helping to form a scary Monopoly.

Edited by Guest

As long as your IP address is known, its data security can not be 100% proof, for sure. You can see some pass-words are shared in this forum. Truth is that most of IP cameras and network switches are from China. Even Pentagon is not Safe. You can also find guys in this forum who keep promoting Chinese IP Cameras, helping to form a scary Monopoly.

Please stop posing false information, with the intent to scare people away from ip cameras. ANY network connected DVR has the SAME security issue as IP cameras. You can properly segment ip cameras or an NVR if you wish. Analog systems are no more secure than IP systems.

There are NO passwords shared for IP systems The passwords that you claim are "shared" are only those that work within the LAN. They will not work remotely via WAN. Also the same techniques work for ANALOG systems made by those manufactures.

I will say this again. An analog DVR is NO more secure than an ip camera.

All this could simply be avoided by running a simply vpn.

STOP posting false information about ip cameras simply because your china junk company does not sell IP. You are purposely misleading end users. Its getting old.