Lorenzo

Advice for Wi-Fi IP camera suitable as a bird nest camera?

Hello,

I am new here and I am looking for some advice.

For a number of years we have had increasing numbers of swallows nest under the eaves of our house and in the open shed/garage next to our back door.

They are lovely to watch and I think they are keeping the flies and the mosquitoes under control.

I would like to place a camera near or above a nest and see the little birds hatch and fledge.

Looking on the web, I found a number of small cameras that are sold for the purposes, but all the ones I found are analogue cameras.

I cannot run a video cable to the eaves and I don't have a TV I can use for watching.

I need to be able to watch the video on a laptop

As I see the situation, the system

1) Must be IP based, using Wi-Fi. (I can run a power supply from a nearby socket).

2) Does not necessarily have to be waterproof. The nests are in a covered location and do not get wet.

3) Must be sufficiently cheap (40ish GBP max).

4) Must focus at close range (max 1 foot, perhaps 1.5', less probably)

Looking around, I found a number of IP cameras in my price range, but nowhere in the specs I could find anything about the minimum close-up focussing range.

I would really appreciate some help and advice, based on your experience

Thanks a lot!

Lorenzo

A DS-2CD2432F-IW to be used outdoors? That doesn't seem to be such a good idea...

With that limited budget, anything you can get that meets your requirements will be a low quality toy.

Thank you for the useful comments and suggestions. I will look into that.

I also wanted to add to the comment by Securame that with the budget I have available, the solution will be a "poor quality toy".

I cannot but agree with it.

However, sometimes a "poor quality toy" is actually the best solution for a specific circumstance.

I don't know whether watching birds hatch will become so important to me to warrant spending hundreds (or thousands, if I were to use a Bradley Engineering camera head plus accessories) of pounds. If I decide to spend my time on something else, the 40/50 pounds are justifiable. I don't know if more than that would be justifiable.

Thanks again!

Lorenzo